RD Licensing RRS feed

• Question

• My RD Licensing manager is activated and showing "Windows 200 Server - Built-in TS Per Device CALs" Unlimited and two "Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2008 R2 : Installed Per Device CALs (TS, RDS or VDI)" Volume License 200 CALs. There are two of these as I went through it again to double check the configuration and added additional by mistake. We are covered for these and will eventually have all CALs (2700 i believe) on to one licensing server. But for now I only need 120 to cover our RDS project.

The 2008 R2 terminal server Remote Desktop Session Host Configuration returns Number of RDS CALs available for clients: 400. This is correct as the two 200 CALs above adds up to 400.

My concerns are that the RD Licensing manager is not showing any CALs in use and the constant notification of "No Remote Desktop License server is available" being shown to users, even though it can clearly see 400 available licenses.

I have gone through multiple TechNet documents and everything look to be set up correctly.

Any help much appreciated as we have 71 days left before this runs out and 120 users unable to work.

All servers are new build on new hardware and up to date.

Documentation already tried:-

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd391972(WS.10).aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732684.aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd983943(WS.10).aspx

Thursday, August 19, 2010 1:52 PM

Answers

• Hi MarkyB,

To narrow down this issue, please also check the network connectivity from RDSH server to Domain controller.

At the command prompt, type ping server_FQDN, where server_FQDN is the fully qualified domain name (FQDN) of the domain controller (for example, server1.contoso.com), and then press ENTER.

For more information about troubleshooting this issue, please refer to the following TechNet article:

Event ID 1131 — Remote Desktop Session Host Connections

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee891298(WS.10).aspx

Wilson Jia

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Wilson Jia Thursday, August 26, 2010 6:10 AM
    Monday, August 23, 2010 7:53 AM

All replies

• Hi,

On your Remote Desktop Session Host server, in RDSH Configuration (tsconfig.msc), did you set the Remote Desktop licensing mode to Per Device?  Did you also specify the Remote Desktop license server?

In the event log of your RDSH server, what errors/warning are present relating to RDS Licensing?  There may be entries similar to no RD Licensing server, unable to contact RD Licensing server, unable to issue client access license, etc.  Please post these so that we know exactly the errors you are receiving.

On your RD Licensing server, are there any errors/warnings in the event log relating to RD licensing?

Is there a firewall blocking traffic between your RDSH server and your RD Licensing server?

For both your RDSH server as well as your RD Licensing server please remember to check the TerminalServices* Admin and Operational logs under Applications and Services Logs\Microsoft\Windows in addition to the System and Application logs like existed pre-Server 2008.

Thanks.

-TP

Thursday, August 19, 2010 4:47 PM
  • Hi,

Licensing mode is set to Device and the RDSH is seeing 400 CALs on the licensing server.

No Errors showing up in any of the logs stated in your reply except on the RDSH.

The Remote Desktop Session Host server could not contact the Remote Desktop license server LLW-COH-2X.powyscc.local. Ensure that the Remote Desktop Licensing service is running on the license server, that the license server is accepting network requests, and that the license server is registered in WINS and DNS.

I can ping LLW-COH-2X from the RDSH server.
    We do have ESET anti virus running in the domain and this has the Web access protection enabled. I have disabled this and the problem is still there. Apart from ESET there is no firewall as it is all on the internal network.

Thanks

MarkyB

Friday, August 20, 2010 8:08 AM
  • Hi MarkyB,

To narrow down this issue, please also check the network connectivity from RDSH server to Domain controller.

At the command prompt, type ping server_FQDN, where server_FQDN is the fully qualified domain name (FQDN) of the domain controller (for example, server1.contoso.com), and then press ENTER.

For more information about troubleshooting this issue, please refer to the following TechNet article:

Event ID 1131 — Remote Desktop Session Host Connections

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee891298(WS.10).aspx

Wilson Jia

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Wilson Jia Thursday, August 26, 2010 6:10 AM
    Monday, August 23, 2010 7:53 AM
  • Dear Customer,

I just wanted to say hi, and to see how things are going. I haven't heard back from you yet and I was wondering if there are any updates on the service request.

Thanks.

Sincerely

Wilson Jia

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 7:28 AM
  • Hi,

Sorry i have been on leave this week and i am looking into this today. I will update as soon as i know where i stand.

Thanks again

MarkyB

Friday, August 27, 2010 8:45 AM
  • Hi,

Here is a recap of the problems i am still experiencing.

I have 5 Servers that talk back to the Remote Desktop license server and can see 400 Device licences.

All 5 servers display this notification constantly "No Remote Desktop Licensing Server can be contacted, Remote Desktop will stop working in 63 days"

Event logs show the following.

"The Remote Desktop Session Host server could not contact the Remote Desktop license server LLW-COH-2X.powyscc.local. Ensure that the Remote Desktop Licensing service is running on the license server, that the license server is accepting network requests, and that the license server is registered in WINS and DNS"

No licenses are being used up on the Remote Desktop license server even though they can be seen from the Remote Desktop Session Host servers.

Things tried to find the problem.

I can ping the Remote Desktop License server

I can ping the Domain Controller

RDSH servers can see the RDLS

It's got to be something simple as the 5 servers can see the licenses there ready but they are not using them.

Thanks

Friday, August 27, 2010 9:12 AM
  • Hi,

I have raised this with Microsoft Software Assurance team and i will post when resolved.

Thanks

Friday, August 27, 2010 12:44 PM
  • Hi!

Do you resolved your problem? I have the same and can't resolve it... :(((

Tuesday, December 7, 2010 12:13 PM
  • we are having the same issues.  I can log in as administrator on the TS box Windows 2008 R2 and it will connect with no problems.  If i log in to the TS as a user with their username it get No Remote Desktop license server is available.  I go to the license server Windows 2008R2 and look at the even logs it states log in fails for that user.  My question is why won't it just pull the license from that server?  We are set up with Per Device 200 Cals.
    Friday, March 25, 2011 5:54 PM