none
Run WiredAutoConfig service via GPO

Question

• Hello.

I have tried enabling the WiredAutoConfig service via GPO for 802.1x authentication. But it seems that it won't apply to the client. 

I have configured it via the GPO object, Computer Configuration->Policies->Windows Settings->Security Settings->System Services, have enabled the WiredAutoConfig, change it to Start automatic.

I have run gpupdate multiple times, restarted the client's PC, yet it did not apply. Im using windows server 2012 R2. The client's OS is Windows 7 Pro.

Any solutions?

Thank you.

Wednesday, October 5, 2016 4:26 AM

Answers

All replies

• Are you saying you cannot get the service to start/set to automatic or are you saying you cannot get 802.1x to function correctly?

Have you run GPUPDATE /force

Have you run GPResult or RSOP from client to see if it is being applied?

Wednesday, October 5, 2016 1:41 PM
  • Hello.

Thank you for your reply. Seems that I have fixed the issue by using the regedit.

Right now, I'm facing another problem.

At the authentication tab in LAN properties, by default the authentication method is microsoft:protected EAP (PEAP). I need to change it to Microsoft: Smart card or other certificate. I've searched the net and found that to edit that properties, I need to edit the GPO at Computer Configuration->Policies->Windows Settings->Security Settings->Wired Network (IEEE 802.3) Policies. I have added the policy, but it's not applying to the client again. Is there any other way beside editing GPO?

THank you.

Thursday, October 6, 2016 2:07 AM
  • Hi,
    I have tested the same configuration according to your description, the same error is not re-produced in my lab environment: red mark is applied GPO, black mark is the started service by GPO.

Regarding the another question, please check the details failure message about failed GPO in the report when you run gpresult /r command and share us it like in the green location in my screenshot.
    Here is an article regarding 10 common problems causing group policy to not apply, you could follow it to check one by one:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/22457.10-common-problems-causing-group-policy-to-not-apply.aspx
    If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 6, 2016 2:38 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking how the issue going, if you still have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

Appreciate for your feedback.

Best regards,

Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 11, 2016 7:43 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for the response.

I have read the articles before and I'm quite sure that I've followed the requirement. In the end, I adjusted my policies to check authentication method by PEAP and it works.

Thank you.

Tuesday, October 11, 2016 7:49 AM
  • Hi,
    I am glad that it worked. And appreciate your update and sharing the method to us. It will be greatly helpful to others who have the same problem.
    Thank you for your effort again.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Wednesday, October 12, 2016 1:46 AM