Update-NonDomainServerInfo and password expiration? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I've got a slightly annoying issue with DPM server backing up DC's in different domain/forest. Not a showstopper - but requires manual intervention each month.

I have a DPM server backing up 2 domain controllers in a different forest - there is a 1 way trust between the domains involved (with the DPM server in the trusted domain).

I've had this set up and running for over a year now - each month the remote DC backups stop working as the DPM server cannot contact the agent. Initially I thought this was caused by password expiration of the account used by the agent (set using SetDpmServer -dpmServerName xxx.yyy.local -isNonDomainServer -updatePassword) - however the account has been set so the password never expires. After a couple of months I realised I did not need to do this step.

To correct it each month I need to run Update-NonDomainServerInfo specifying the same username and password on the DPM server and that's it - so it seems that the DPM server is somehow losing the credentials each month.  

Any ideas why I would need to re-run Update-NonDomainServerInfo each month even though the username and password have not changed? Is it something to do with the trust authentication changing each month?

Thanks for any help/suggestions.

Cheers

Thursday, July 7, 2011 11:12 PM

Answers

• You could just log onto the server.  Go into control panel, user accounts, then for the DPMAccount for the DMZ set the passord never to expire, never to lock out and that it cant be changed.

I know you said you had done this before but it definetly works for me.

• Proposed as answer by Aido82 Friday, July 8, 2011 2:02 PM
    • Marked as answer by Yegor Startsev Friday, April 12, 2013 7:57 PM
    Friday, July 8, 2011 2:02 PM

All replies

• Hello,

I think, you must set the password expiration for the dpmaccount on the dpm server himself for the protected server and also on the protected server. I had the same problem and can it solve so.

Regards

René

Friday, July 8, 2011 7:17 AM
  • You could just log onto the server.  Go into control panel, user accounts, then for the DPMAccount for the DMZ set the passord never to expire, never to lock out and that it cant be changed.

I know you said you had done this before but it definetly works for me.

• Proposed as answer by Aido82 Friday, July 8, 2011 2:02 PM
    • Marked as answer by Yegor Startsev Friday, April 12, 2013 7:57 PM
    Friday, July 8, 2011 2:02 PM