Exchange 2010 and exchange 2016 co-existance RRS feed

• Question

• Good Day Everyone,

I have begun to do a co-existance migration of exchange 2010 and 2016. So far, I was able to install everything up until moving the send and receive connectors. I did the following:

1. Installed 2016 exchange server
    2. Change client acces on new exchange to owa.company.com/autodiscover/autodiscover.xml
    3. Reset the IIS app pools
    4. Import and installed SSL certs and them them to SMTP and IIS on the new ex2016
    5. Then I set all the Virtual Directory of OWA, OutlookAnywhere, ECP, Activesync, webservices oab, mapi to owa.company.com. With a default authentication method to NTLM. For internal and external URI
    6. At this point, I was able to go to my A record and move from my old ex2010 to the new ex2016 (Internal A record for owa and autodiscover)
    7. Then changed the owa access on our firewall from the old ex2010 to the new ex2016.
    8. At this point we stopped. We didn't move the send or receive connectors. We just wanted the OWA to point to new server.

Now here is where I start to have problems.

1. Some outlook users are disconnecting from the mailbox.
    2. Others cant connect to the mailbox unless they are within the network. Users on air card cannot connect
    3. Phone and tabs are working normally
    4. If i move my mailbox over to the new ex2016, I can send and receive both internal and external email with no problem. Even though the new ex2016 is not apart of the DAG and only has its default send and receive connectors. 

All i have done is redirect the OWA site. I don't see where the issue is. Oh and the users that cant connect to outlook desktop can connect to OWA with no problem. Any help would be appreciated. 

Tuesday, January 16, 2018 5:44 PM

Answers

• Hi Fenikas,

From your description, I know that external Outlook client cannot connect to Exchange server after install Exchange 2016 into an existing Exchange 2010 environment, however OWA and internal Outlook client works fine.
    If I mislead your concern, please be free to let me know.

--->> "Then changed the owa access on our firewall from the old ex2010 to the new ex2016.... just wanted the OWA to point to new server."
    In a co-existing Exchange 2010 and Exchange 2016 environment, we need change DNS record and point to Exchange 2016, then do proxy if mailbox places in Exchange 2010. Therefore, I recommend to change other Exchange services on your firewall and point to Exchange 2016.

After it completes, run ExRCA to test Outlook Autodiscover and check the result.

Then, check the connection status by Outlook Connection Status (or re-new an Outlook profile for testing).
    Note: MAPI over HTTP will be enabled by default on Exchange 2016, Outlook client will change to use MAPI over HTTP to connect to Exchange after mailbox migrate to Exchange 2016.

More information, for your reference:
    Client Connectivity in an Exchange 2016 Coexistence Environment with Exchange 2010

Regards,
    Allen Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Marked as answer by Fenikas Friday, January 19, 2018 2:26 PM
    Wednesday, January 17, 2018 10:25 AM

All replies

• Hi Fenikas,

From your description, I know that external Outlook client cannot connect to Exchange server after install Exchange 2016 into an existing Exchange 2010 environment, however OWA and internal Outlook client works fine.
    If I mislead your concern, please be free to let me know.

--->> "Then changed the owa access on our firewall from the old ex2010 to the new ex2016.... just wanted the OWA to point to new server."
    In a co-existing Exchange 2010 and Exchange 2016 environment, we need change DNS record and point to Exchange 2016, then do proxy if mailbox places in Exchange 2010. Therefore, I recommend to change other Exchange services on your firewall and point to Exchange 2016.

After it completes, run ExRCA to test Outlook Autodiscover and check the result.

Then, check the connection status by Outlook Connection Status (or re-new an Outlook profile for testing).
    Note: MAPI over HTTP will be enabled by default on Exchange 2016, Outlook client will change to use MAPI over HTTP to connect to Exchange after mailbox migrate to Exchange 2016.

More information, for your reference:
    Client Connectivity in an Exchange 2016 Coexistence Environment with Exchange 2010

Regards,
    Allen Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Marked as answer by Fenikas Friday, January 19, 2018 2:26 PM
    Wednesday, January 17, 2018 10:25 AM
  • The article did give me a better understanding of the issue at hand. I was missing an autodiscover record and our internal DNS was seeing the owa. The problem I was running into was a rundll error after I moved to exchange 2016. I ran Restart-WebAppPool MSExchangeAutodiscoverAppPool on the 2016

and was able to connect with no issues.

Thursday, January 18, 2018 7:30 PM
  • Glad it helps.

Please mark your solution and helpful reply as answer. Thanks for your cooperation.

Regards,
    Allen Wang

Friday, January 19, 2018 6:53 AM