none
customsettings.ini how to get local admin+pc name automatically RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

How can I get a deployment via the customsettings.ini to set a local admin+pc name automatically?

Is it possibly to use the account information that are input in the first step of a deployment? When the deployment asks for username, password and domain. Is it possibly to use that username and let the customsettings or task sequence assign that username as a local admin on the PC

and  also set it as a computername plus a string called "-W7E"?

And if that computer name already exists putting maybe an extra number so it would be username + "1" + "W7E"?

So If my username is pelswe and a pc already exists with the name pelswe-W7E then the name would be pelswe1-W7E?

So checking against the AD and also assigning admin and a PC name? Im not good at programming in customsettings.

Or is this to complex? Would it be easier to just assign a different pc name?

Tuesday, June 2, 2015 8:25 AM

Answers

• OSDComputerName=%UserID%-W7E

Administrators1=%DomainAdminDomain%\%UserID%

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, June 2, 2015 8:46 AM

All replies

• OSDComputerName=%UserID%-W7E

Administrators1=%DomainAdminDomain%\%UserID%

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, June 2, 2015 8:46 AM
  • Hi,

Will this generate a pattern that looks like this:

If username-W7E has a computer then the next one will be username1-W7E, third on username2-W7E, is is also possibly to get this in uppcase?

Can I edit the file while other PC's are deploying? it seems like I don't have access, but I could rename the file and add a new one..

I also wonder if I have to write skipcomputername or something to avoid that window popping up? I found this one : SkipComputerName=YES

Also have a question about how to avoid the language pop up and setting every setting to swedish automatically, should it be these rows then:?

SkipLocaleSelection=YES
    UILanguage=sv
    UserLocale=sv-SE
    KeyboardLocale=041d:0000041d

Tuesday, June 2, 2015 2:06 PM
  • Hi,

I tried this but then the pc dident join the domain and thus the pc name was only username

thus also the account dident become admin

/Pelle

Wednesday, June 3, 2015 8:22 AM
  • logs said that the pc already may exists in a different OU try removing the specified OU, is it possibly to get the name checked before it applies it? so that it would somehow add a number to the pc if a pc name already exists?
    Wednesday, June 3, 2015 1:00 PM
  • You could write a script to do it but, that is not a native feature of MDT to check if the machine exists.

Monday, June 8, 2015 8:43 PM