OUTLOOK 2016 (1710 build 8625.2139) cannot completely search emails RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

I have big issue. In my company, there are three users who cannot search the emails which are received after Nov 7th, but they can search the emails before Nov 7th.

I did some things but still not working:

1 rebuild the index

2 repaired the .ost file

3 disable and enable windows search service

but these users use outlook 2013, is working

I think that OUTLOOK 2016 should have some problem or some updates cause.

Is there anyone who has good ideas to resolve this issue, thanks!

Friday, December 1, 2017 8:48 PM

All replies

• Hi everyone,

I have big issue. In my company, there are three users who cannot search the emails which are received after Nov 7th, but they can search the emails before Nov 7th.

I did some things but still not working:

1 rebuild the index

2 repaired the .ost file

3 disable and enable windows search service

but these users use outlook 2013, is working

I think that OUTLOOK 2016 should have some problem or some updates cause.

Is there anyone who has good ideas to resolve this issue, thanks!

• Merged by Steve Fan Monday, December 4, 2017 1:56 AM duplicate post
    Friday, December 1, 2017 8:42 PM
  • Adding same response on both your open issues, just to add to this, I have a fair number of clients that the complaint all started with Outlook search (sluggish, no results), regardless if Outlook 2010, 2013, 2016. Hoping for a fix too!!

Have a fair number of clients reporting issues with November 2017 updates affecting Outlook. Outlook 2010, 2013 and 2016, all showing basically same symptoms. Initial complaint is search seems slow to produce results, and not show recent emails in results. If I rebuild search index, it now completely skips indexing Outlook and breaks Outlook search entirely. (it won't find any results at all)

Next is for any external applications to Outlook (QuickBooks, Sage 50), any external software that has the ability to call open an email window from Outlook to send an invoice attached for example, no longer works. If you have Outlook open and try to use Windows Scan or QuickBooks to send an email to recipient, it errors along the lines of the OST being in use. If you close Outlook, it seems to open/call Outlook to send an email, as you can see Outlook launch minimized near clock, but errors that "Outlook is already running, please close Outlook..."

Systems are Windows 10, Outlook 2010, 2013, 2016, doesn't matter what Outlook version.

Possible updates specific to Outlook, that after uninstalled, things start working again:

KB4011196
    KB2553308
    KB2760779
    KB2956078

Tim

Friday, December 1, 2017 8:51 PM
  • Adding same response on both your open issues, just to add to this, I have a fair number of clients that the complaint all started with Outlook search (sluggish, no results), regardless if Outlook 2010, 2013, 2016. Hoping for a fix too!!

Have a fair number of clients reporting issues with November 2017 updates affecting Outlook. Outlook 2010, 2013 and 2016, all showing basically same symptoms. Initial complaint is search seems slow to produce results, and not show recent emails in results. If I rebuild search index, it now completely skips indexing Outlook and breaks Outlook search entirely. (it won't find any results at all)

Next is for any external applications to Outlook (QuickBooks, Sage 50), any external software that has the ability to call open an email window from Outlook to send an invoice attached for example, no longer works. If you have Outlook open and try to use Windows Scan or QuickBooks to send an email to recipient, it errors along the lines of the OST being in use. If you close Outlook, it seems to open/call Outlook to send an email, as you can see Outlook launch minimized near clock, but errors that "Outlook is already running, please close Outlook..."

Systems are Windows 10, Outlook 2010, 2013, 2016, doesn't matter what Outlook version.

Possible updates specific to Outlook, that after uninstalled, things start working again:

KB4011196
    KB2553308
    KB2760779
    KB2956078

Tim

Friday, December 1, 2017 8:52 PM
  • Hi Tim,

Thank you for your apply.

I checked those updates which are for outlook 2010, not for 2016.

the PC did not install those updates.

thank you so much!

Friday, December 1, 2017 9:33 PM
  • Hi,

>>In my company, there are three users who cannot search the emails which are received after Nov 7th, but they can search the emails before Nov 7th.

Is there any other Outlook 2016 user affected by this issue except the three users?

Did you get any error message or just get no result when searching recent emails?

Does this issue continue if we try searching within Outlook safe mode (outlook.exe /safe)? 

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 4, 2017 7:17 AM
  • Hi Steve,

Thank you for your reply.

Others outlook 2016 users are working.

No error message, because they can searched before 7th Nov.

I used safe mode ,still same problem.

Do you have any ways to resolve this issue?

If the search result is more 250, if it will not show up the latest emails?

thank you so much

Jun

Monday, December 4, 2017 6:27 PM
  • Thank you for the update. 

What if we try searching via Advanced Find (Ctrl + Shift + F)?

>>If the search result is more 250, if it will not show up the latest emails?

By default, Outlook sorts the emails and search results from latest to the oldest. If you sort your emails from oldest to latest, this could be a cause to current issue. You may try clicking the 'All' drop-down menu and click Revert Sort to see the result.

Regards,

Steve Fan

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 5, 2017 7:54 AM
  • Hi Steve,

Thank you so much.

the search result is more 250, but sort from latest to oldest.

I found the new problem. With the same account, I login in the OWA, the search result is the same, it can not search the emails after 7th Nov.

Right now, for Outlook 2016 and OWA(exchange server) , both are not working for searching the emails after 7th Nov.

Do you think that the problem is on the Exchange server?

Thank you 

Jun

Tuesday, December 5, 2017 5:06 PM
  • Hi Jun,

If you have cached Exchange mode enabled, Outlook uses local index when searching while OWA uses server side indexing. It could be something wrong with the mailbox if both side have the issue.

Can you see the emails received after Nov 7 still exist in your mailbox? What if we try sending some new emails to yourself and then try searching for these emails? 

Regards,

Steve Fan

Wednesday, December 6, 2017 9:59 AM
  • Hi Steve,

Thank you so much!

I can see the emails received after Nov 7, these emails exist in my mailbox. I sent new email to myself, but I can not search them. if i search, just show the emails before Nov 7th.

Do you have any ideas? thank you so much, Steve.

Best regards,

Jun

Wednesday, December 6, 2017 2:30 PM
  • Well. You may try adding the following registry key and then try testing it again. In Outlook 2016, it uses server side index in priority when searching. The following registry key forces Outlook 2016 to use the local Windows index in priority. make sure you have cached Exchange mode enabled before doing this.

(Important Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it.)

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\Search

Value name: DisableServerAssistedSearch
    Value type: REG_DWORD
    Value: 1

Meanwhile, from the Exchange server side, I'd recommend you try repairing the users' mailboxes and then see whether this issue continues in OWA. 

Regards,

Steve Fan

Thursday, December 7, 2017 9:55 AM
  • Hi Steve,

Thank you so much for your solution.

I am going to do it.

I have a question. If there is a limitation of 250 emails, it should show up the emails from the latest, but always shows emails before 7th Nov.

Thank you so much, Steve.

Best regards,

Jun

Thursday, December 7, 2017 1:35 PM
  • Hi Jun,

>>If there is a limitation of 250 emails, it should show up the emails from the latest, but always shows emails before 7th Nov.

I agree with this. Even Outlook has the limitation, it should work in OWA. Really strange. 

Regards,

Steve Fan

Friday, December 8, 2017 9:01 AM
  • Hi Steve,

Thank you so much.

I wonder if in Outlook 2016, it always uses server side index in priority when searching, whatever you use Cached mode or not. 

Best regards,

Jun

Friday, December 8, 2017 6:31 PM
  • Hi Jun,

You may read this blog article for more details:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/outlooking/2017/04/27/how-outlook-2016-utilizes-exchange-server-2016-fast-search/

By the way, have you tried modifying registry key? And what's the result? 

Regards,

Steve Fan

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Wednesday, December 20, 2017 9:49 AM
    Monday, December 11, 2017 9:25 AM