Changing back to XP from Vista. RRS feed

• Question

•  

My new but out of return range laptop came with and OEM version of Vista Home Premium but the company could not get the bugs out of Vista.  It has been tested and reloaded with Vista over and over with no resolution.  My desktop works beautifully with XP and, after using Vista, I don't need a "prettier" operating system with a few more bells and whistles but more conflicts than a 20 year old Yugo has mechanical problems!  I am so sick and tired of being a beta tester for every new version of Windows that comes out!  (I have had every version and upgrade to
    Windows since Windows 286 in the mid 1980's)

Is it possible to buy a full version of XP still and install it on my Vista laptop?  This model of laptop is basically the same as the one the company was selling with XP right before they changed to Vista.  I understand that some companyies have been offering to replace their OEM Vista OS for customers with a free OEM XP version due to the vast range of problems all the computer manufacturers have encountered with Vista, which costs them more in support staff time since they are required to support their OEM operating system.  Two people I have talked to have been very pleased with this solution offered by the manufacturers of their computers.  Unfortunately, the manufacturer of my computer I was stupid enough to buy (Acer) will not.

Sunday, September 14, 2008 9:05 AM

Answers

• Is it possible to buy a full version of XP still and install it on my Vista laptop?

Yes; and maybe.
    You'll first need to hit up Acer's support & downloads site, and make sure that they have XP drivers for your system.
    The problem area, though (this being a laptop) will be storage drivers:  XP tends to lack SATA controller drivers (they're not in the installation disc), and it's a given that your laptop has a SATA hard drive.  Since your laptop doesn't have a floppy drive, and only a very few USB floppies are supported by the installer, you'll need to either:
    1- If possible, set the SATA controller to 'compatible' or 'legacy IDE' (in the BIOS) (and, no, you can't change it back later), or
    2- bake a new installation disc (with SATA drivers included) using nLite.

As for downgrade rights:  typically, that's only offered with business-class machines, and not with consumer systems.

Sunday, September 14, 2008 3:26 PM