none
Unable to manage Hyper-V server locally from the host

Question

• Hello folks,

please can anybody give me advice? I am running brand new Windows SRV 2016 STD as hypervisor with 2 virtual servers on it. Everything was running good until 2 hours ago. Since that I am unable to connect to hyper-V server locally via hyper-v manager console. 

I am getting error similar this one - hyper-v encountered an error trying to access an object on computer 'localhost' because the object was not found. The object might have been deleted, or you might not have permission to perform the task. Verify that the Virtual Machine Management service on the computer is running. 

Virtual disk are in the same location, there was no change on the server except Windows Updates. I was able to uninstall installed updates except one - KB3211320

i I am using administrator account, server is in workgroup, I am able to ping localhost and the name of the server.

Any help? or idea?

thanks.

Jendislav

Friday, February 24, 2017 2:53 PM

Answers

• Ok folks,

this solution helped to me in 10 seconds.

Run on Hyper-V host
    “MOFCOMP %SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsVirtualization.V2.mof”
    This rebuilds the WMI components for virtualization.

Jendislav

• Marked as answer by Jendislav Monday, February 27, 2017 10:17 AM
    Monday, February 27, 2017 10:10 AM
  • Hi Sir,

Please make sure that your user is member of the Hyper-V user-group.

Try to run the Hyper-V manager as "Run as" (shift while right clicking the Hyper-V Manager and select "Run as"), and type the Administrator user/pass.

If that doesn`t work run this from a elevated CMD or Powershell: "MOFCOMP %SYSTEMROOP%\System32\WindowsVirtualization.V2.mof" 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Jendislav Monday, February 27, 2017 11:51 AM
    Friday, February 24, 2017 9:05 PM

All replies

• Have you checked if the Hyper-V Virtual Machine Management service is running? Also check the event logs for more clues.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Friday, February 24, 2017 4:15 PM
  • Hello,

mentioned service is running well without any problem. There are no errors in event log regarding hyper-v.

Just one error regarding DCOm :

http://www.itexperience.net/2017/01/13/event-id-10016-fix-the-application-specific-permission-settings-do-not-grant-local-activation-permission-for-the-com-server-application-with-clsid/

Jendislav

Friday, February 24, 2017 4:25 PM
  • You might try running;

sfc /scannow

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

or possibly a repair by running setup.exe in the root of the install media.

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Friday, February 24, 2017 5:00 PM
  • Yes I know this option but I though I can find and resolve the issue because I would like to know why this happend.

But thank you for advice.

Jendislav

Friday, February 24, 2017 6:59 PM
  • If rebooting does not help then repair may be your only option. Also I would not recommend uninstalling windows updates. Windows updates would have been vetted against hyper-v role and any other windows roles and should only add to stability.

Friday, February 24, 2017 7:36 PM
  • Hi Sir,

Please make sure that your user is member of the Hyper-V user-group.

Try to run the Hyper-V manager as "Run as" (shift while right clicking the Hyper-V Manager and select "Run as"), and type the Administrator user/pass.

If that doesn`t work run this from a elevated CMD or Powershell: "MOFCOMP %SYSTEMROOP%\System32\WindowsVirtualization.V2.mof" 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Jendislav Monday, February 27, 2017 11:51 AM
    Friday, February 24, 2017 9:05 PM
  • And if you don't want to reboot, at least restart the VMM service.  Stopping/starting this service does not impact the running of the VMs; it just affects the management of them.  There are a variety of things that can cause the VMM service to stop working, so restarting is a quick way to correct those errors.  If you want to find the root cause, you would need to open a case with Microsoft and work with the experts to get that information.

. : | : . : | : . tim

Saturday, February 25, 2017 2:30 PM
  • Ok folks,

this solution helped to me in 10 seconds.

Run on Hyper-V host
    “MOFCOMP %SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsVirtualization.V2.mof”
    This rebuilds the WMI components for virtualization.

Jendislav

• Marked as answer by Jendislav Monday, February 27, 2017 10:17 AM
    Monday, February 27, 2017 10:10 AM