Outlook 2003 rules disappear from rules and alerts. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We run outlook 2003 sp3 and exchange 2003 sp2 in a domain 2003 environment.

the user states that no other users log onto the system for this account and no other user uses this account information on a different computer.

the rules were there yesterday and today they are gone.

i have used mapi editor and did not see any rules listed when displaying rules table for this account in question.

how do i track what happened to them? and how do i restore the rules that should be there? do they have to be recreated manually?

if i restore the mailbox from a few days ago, would the rules be in the mailbox?

Thanks in advance.

• Edited by BC-RSCT Friday, October 14, 2011 6:18 PM link was not really accurate.
    Friday, October 14, 2011 6:16 PM

Answers

• Based on my research, there can be multiple reasons about the events. For example, your user has “Triggered” the rule in OWA, or if there is a third party addins like Novell GroupWise.

If the issue cannot be reproduced, we are not able to trace it. If the issue continues, I’d suggest you post this question in Outlook ITPro forum here. Your understanding would be appreciated.

You may restore the rules from the mailbox backup only if the backup occurs when the rules exists. So please take a try. If it is working, you may export the rules from Outlook/Rules and Alerts/Options/export Rules.

Hope it is helpful.

Fiona
    • Proposed as answer by Fiona_Liao Monday, October 17, 2011 3:45 AM
    • Marked as answer by BC-RSCT Tuesday, October 18, 2011 12:55 PM
    Monday, October 17, 2011 3:45 AM

All replies

• Based on my research, there can be multiple reasons about the events. For example, your user has “Triggered” the rule in OWA, or if there is a third party addins like Novell GroupWise.

If the issue cannot be reproduced, we are not able to trace it. If the issue continues, I’d suggest you post this question in Outlook ITPro forum here. Your understanding would be appreciated.

You may restore the rules from the mailbox backup only if the backup occurs when the rules exists. So please take a try. If it is working, you may export the rules from Outlook/Rules and Alerts/Options/export Rules.

Hope it is helpful.

Fiona
    • Proposed as answer by Fiona_Liao Monday, October 17, 2011 3:45 AM
    • Marked as answer by BC-RSCT Tuesday, October 18, 2011 12:55 PM
    Monday, October 17, 2011 3:45 AM
  • Hi,

thank you for the follow up.  We are not able to reproduce the issue.  we will restore the mailbox and export the rules.

Thank you.

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 12:54 PM