none
Revert Inactive protection to Active RRS feed

• Question

• i have just restored a DPM 2010 server after a catastophic failure of the original DPM 2010 server. Whilst running the synchronization of the various protected volumes i inadvertently removed the protection on a particular volume. The protection window now shows this as inactive protection. Is there any way to undo this - i.e can  i make it active protection again.

Secondly say i change the drive letter on a protected volume(cause of the problem above), is there any way to associate replicas which were made using the old drive letter with any new replicas i make using the new drive letter? Reason being retention policies dictate data be retained for years but drive letters may change as servers get migrated etc. So how do we make sure the protection is always referring to same data.

Thanks.

Some additional info:

It looks like the get-datasource commandlet lets you view inactive datasources. Unfortunately my powershell knowledge si nowhere good enough to use this to set the flag from inactive to active.

A SQL script that can do this may help too but so far i have not been able to identify the table that sets this flag.

Saturday, June 18, 2011 9:24 PM

Answers

• Hi ns2400,

if the drive letter changes then DPM will see this as a new datasource. So from gui/automatically you will not be able to associate a new drive letter (like F:) with an existing replica using another drive letter (like D) even though the data is the same.

There might be a way to associate the new drive letter with the existing replica using powershell/sql but right now I don't see a way how to do that. I will investigate and see if there is a way.

Monday, August 1, 2011 9:50 AM

All replies

• Hi Ns2004,

In regards to your first question there is a way to mark the protected data active again. Here is how you do this:

• Go into DPM Administrator console.
    • Go to the Protection area.
    • Right click on the Protection Group that your inactive data was a part of and chose Modify Protection Group.
    • Locate the protected data that is inactive & select it for protection then complete the modify protection group wizard.

Once it is successful your protected data will now be back in an active state.

HTH

My Blog | www.buchatech.com | www.systemcenterdataprotectionmanager.com
    Sunday, July 17, 2011 8:31 AM
  • So even if drive letters change for the protected data, as long as it is the same data i can still retain it as part of the protection group and DPM is intelligent enough to know that this is not a new source of data? I believe i may have tried that and cannot remember what happened but i know i was not having much luck. i may run additional tests to see if it works using a demo server.
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 8:04 PM
  • So even if drive letters change for the protected data, as long as it is the same data i can still retain it as part of the protection group and DPM is intelligent enough to know that this is not a new source of data? I believe i may have tried that and cannot remember what happened but i know i was not having much luck. i may run additional tests to see if it works using a demo server.

Hi Ns2004,

This was on the same protected server with the same drive letter. I have not tested that after changing drive letter so I am not sure if you will run into issues or not by doing that.

My Blog | www.buchatech.com | www.dpm2010.com
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 9:52 PM
  • Hi ns2400,

if the drive letter changes then DPM will see this as a new datasource. So from gui/automatically you will not be able to associate a new drive letter (like F:) with an existing replica using another drive letter (like D) even though the data is the same.

There might be a way to associate the new drive letter with the existing replica using powershell/sql but right now I don't see a way how to do that. I will investigate and see if there is a way.

Monday, August 1, 2011 9:50 AM