Exchange Server 2003 not sending internet mail RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running Exchange Server 2003 with sp2 on Windows 2003 server standard edition.

I can access owa and send messages to myself and they show up. When I send messages to an internet address they just sit in the ques. When I send messages from the internet to the exchange server they don't get delivered. Everything looks good. I'm not getting any even log errors. nslookup has my mx record correct. Everything looks good just no internet mail flow.

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 10:19 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Try www.testexchangeconnectivity.com to see what exactly the issue is.

Also, what error message can be see at the queue when finding properties of queued emails?

Regards from ExchangeOnline | Windows Administrator's Area

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 10:40 AM
  • Hi,

Try www.testexchangeconnectivity.com to see what exactly the issue is.

Also, what error message can be see at the queue when finding properties of queued emails?

It says Testing TCP port 25 on host xxx.xxx.com to ensure it's listening and open then The specified port is either blocked, not listening, or not producing the expected response. I checked my firewall and port 25 is allowed.

There are no error messages in the queue. It says delivery failures 0, status: queued

When I do a portqry it says TCP port 25 listening

• Edited by Philtrev Tuesday, April 30, 2013 12:26 PM
    Tuesday, April 30, 2013 12:23 PM
  • Hello,

Use the telnet to test the inbound mailflow issue:

How to Use Telnet to Test SMTP Communication

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa995718(v=exchg.65).aspx

For outbound issues:

Frequently Asked Questions: Troubleshooting Outbound Mail Flow in Exchange Server 2003

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa996049(v=exchg.65).aspx

Thanks,

Simon Wu
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, May 3, 2013 9:15 AM
  • ok got a little more info. When I telnet in and try to send a test message I get "queued mail for delivery" instead of ok. So all my internet mail is going to the que and sits there. Inbound internet mail works fine. Just outbound gets stuck in the queue.
    Thursday, May 9, 2013 12:36 PM