Which webpart can retrieve data from a external web service? RRS feed

• Question

• Which webpart can retrieve data from a external web service?

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 3:05 AM

Answers

• DataView webpart can be a solution, but it has several drawbacks.

1. Performance - If the response time of the external web service is slow, the entire page which contains the DataView webpart will be blocked until the DataView webpart renders results after retrieving data from the external web service.

2. Security - If the external web service requires user credentials, you will need to store the user credentials inside the data source. DataView webpart supports SharePoint SSO, but it seemed to me that SSO did not work as it supposed to work.

BDC can be a good solution as long as the web service format is compliant with format that BDC can understand. What I mean by that is that BDC cannot consume a web service with complex type. For example, BDC cannot consume SharePoint out-of-box web serivce such as GetItems method of _vti_bin/Lists.asmx. It's an irony that SharePoint's BDC cannot consume its own web service. But that's what it is. Otherwise, BDC web parts are asynchronous, and so these web parts do not block a page from being loaded.

If you go with developing a custom webpart, please consider using an Ajax or JSON so that the custom webpart can handle data asynchronously.

Friday, April 11, 2008 3:23 AM

All replies

• If you are using MOSS 2007, take at look at Business Data Catalog:
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms563661.aspx

--
    Madhur
    Wednesday, April 9, 2008 4:44 AM
  • But the BCD web part is hard to modify the display format

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 6:00 AM
  • I am not sure what do you mean by hard. It can be simply done by customizing the XSLT of the webpart.

What exactly are the display format requirements ?

--
    Madhur

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 6:08 AM
  • Whether the DataView webpart can be a solution?

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 6:20 AM
  • This article shows how to connect to a web service: http://www.wssdemo.com/Pages/WebServiceDilbert.aspx

BDC is a good choice, though.  I would not reject it without a more thorough review.

Friday, April 11, 2008 12:29 AM
  • DataView webpart can be a solution, but it has several drawbacks.

1. Performance - If the response time of the external web service is slow, the entire page which contains the DataView webpart will be blocked until the DataView webpart renders results after retrieving data from the external web service.

2. Security - If the external web service requires user credentials, you will need to store the user credentials inside the data source. DataView webpart supports SharePoint SSO, but it seemed to me that SSO did not work as it supposed to work.

BDC can be a good solution as long as the web service format is compliant with format that BDC can understand. What I mean by that is that BDC cannot consume a web service with complex type. For example, BDC cannot consume SharePoint out-of-box web serivce such as GetItems method of _vti_bin/Lists.asmx. It's an irony that SharePoint's BDC cannot consume its own web service. But that's what it is. Otherwise, BDC web parts are asynchronous, and so these web parts do not block a page from being loaded.

If you go with developing a custom webpart, please consider using an Ajax or JSON so that the custom webpart can handle data asynchronously.

Friday, April 11, 2008 3:23 AM