Mapped drive losing password RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to map a drive on a domain PC.  The location I am mapping is part of a workgroup.  The credentials are stored as long as I am logged in.  As soon as I log off or restart I need to re-enter the password to connect to the mapped drive.  I have tried adding the password to Manage Passwords under user accounts and that will not save the password either. 

This is a Windows XP Pro SP3 machine.  The machines with SP2 seem to save the password correctly.  Is this an issue with SP3 and is there a way to fix this besides using a startup batch file?

Tuesday, November 2, 2010 3:32 PM

All replies

• Well its interesting that that SP2 keeps the passwords. Cause if what you are saying is that you are mapping a drive from a workgroup (not on the domain) to a computer that is on the domain it should ask you for a password as far as I know. Why SP2 does not I think is just lucky (or not if you like security).

Anyway one way to save yourself the trouble if you want to try to eliminate the entering of passwords is to use the net use command. Type net use /? in a dos windows search the net on some example syntax.  In particular look at the /Persistent:Yes switch

See this kb article there are 3 suggestions to your problem. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308582

Including My suggestion.

Tuesday, November 2, 2010 3:54 PM
  • I just found a couple SP2 machines that are not saving it as well.  There are just a few random machines that for whatever reason can be restarted or logged off and the user can still access the mapped drive without having to re-enter the password each time. 

I have tried the net use command...

"net use X: \\hostname\share  /savecred /p:yes" is what I tried.

Tuesday, November 2, 2010 4:14 PM