MDT media and usb key size RRS feed

• Question

• I was wondering if it is ok to manually delete from my usb key a folder located in the key (MDT\Media Key\Content\Deploy\Operating  System\XXXX.) I have 4 folders in here which I believe I need only 3 to boot and image remotely all my different models and needed Applications.  My media is just a bit too large to fit on my key. I believe I have selected the least amount of options in the media properties for this key to be useful to my remote sights.  

I am self taught with MDT so a complicated explanation may confuse me. I apologize for any ignorance or poor terminology. 

Thank you for your assistance or suggestions,

WafflesCa

Monday, September 26, 2016 4:12 PM

Answers

• 3 is what I need, each applies to a specific set of needs or my two task sequences. I know it's awkward, but I took this over from another person and that is how it was set up. So if the 4th is obsolete. can I manually delete the 4th image/wim folder from my media folder and not have it affect/effect my ubs key remote imaging?

If the 4th is not needed or a TS is not pointed to it sure delete it. Going forward I would look at bring your image count down to 1. Question what is so different about these multiple images/TS that it can't be 1 and controlled by WMI or likewise, you will same yourself a lot of headaches and administrative task down the road. Just my 2 cents :)

If this post is helpful please click "Mark for answer", thanks! Kind regards

• Marked as answer by wafflesCA Monday, September 26, 2016 6:23 PM
    Monday, September 26, 2016 5:41 PM

All replies

• How many images do you have? As you should only need 1 to be able to deploy to all systems

Monday, September 26, 2016 4:30 PM
  • 3 is what I need, each applies to a specific set of needs or my two task sequences. I know it's awkward, but I took this over from another person and that is how it was set up. So if the 4th is obsolete. can I manually delete the 4th image/wim folder from my media folder and not have it affect/effect my ubs key remote imaging?
    Monday, September 26, 2016 5:09 PM

If the 4th is not needed or a TS is not pointed to it sure delete it. Going forward I would look at bring your image count down to 1. Question what is so different about these multiple images/TS that it can't be 1 and controlled by WMI or likewise, you will same yourself a lot of headaches and administrative task down the road. Just my 2 cents :)

• Marked as answer by wafflesCA Monday, September 26, 2016 6:23 PM
    Monday, September 26, 2016 5:41 PM
  • Thank you. for your response. I completely agree with you. We are transitioning applications,  Office Apps. One has office 2007 builtin (old wim, one without for O365 as appl otion, migrating to new wim) but not all users get O365, so.... have to have two types of systems/wims available to image. This way I can support both users who need old office and new office. The previous owner of the is deployment did not make office an app. I know it's hinky, but i have to go with what is the current process. In 6 month's hopfeully all users will be on O365 eliminating multiple wims. 

waffleCa

Monday, September 26, 2016 6:11 PM