none
BCS External list login failed error

Question

• I have created external list from external content type, external content created from Azure SQL Database, but when i open the list it gives me following error.

Cannot connect to the LobSystem (External System). Reason: 'Cannot open database "Database" requested by the login. The login failed. Login failed for user 'User'.'

Wednesday, August 31, 2016 8:08 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Can you provide the steps in details about how you configure the whole thing in you SharePoint Online environment and the Azure portal? It would make others easier to research on it.

According to this error message, it is more like an issue that this user who views the External list has no sufficient permissions to the Azure database.

Anyway, please follow this article to setup another external list, I have tested it in my tenant and it works properly for me:

https://jamesdiblasi.wordpress.com/2014/01/19/sharepoint-online-external-azure-database-as-a-list/

Please let me know once there any progress.

Best regards,

Patrick

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 31, 2016 2:23 PM
  • I tried the link you provided I just have a question when it asked for the username password. Should I put here the admin of my SQL or my SharePoint Online account that has permission to the secure store info I <g class="gr_ gr_64 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Punctuation multiReplace" data-gr-id="64" id="64">created.</g> Because when I added my SQL account it prompts me that "Access Denied by Business Connectivity Service" Can you clear this one out

Saturday, May 26, 2018 1:28 AM