Moving Exchange 2010 to a new location RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have to move my exchange 2010 Sp1 to a new Physical location on the same domain but different country. Here the basic plan :

I have a DAG in place with and Edge server and a TMG publication.

I have a new (single) server in the same domain waiting to get Exchange 2010 SP1 installed.

Basically I want to copy the base on an external device (too big to transfert them using the VPN) install Exchange service, import the base, synchronize once again to get the last modification that happened.

then Move the MX to the new IP, stop the Exchange service on the DAG and put the new one online.

is my plan ok? any advice on how to do all of that ?

thanks lot !

Monday, April 4, 2011 11:43 PM

Answers

• Why wouldn't you just bring up a new server in the DAG, create new database copies, and when the seeding is complete just make it the active server?
    Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    • Marked as answer by Jeremy_E Wednesday, April 6, 2011 10:45 AM
    Tuesday, April 5, 2011 12:14 AM
  • Hi,

From your description, the plan is good. And you can also refer to the article ‘Moving Exchange Servers to New Hardware and Keeping the Same Server Name’: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb332343(EXCHG.80).aspx

I recommend you consider Ed’s suggestion because one of the most features is DAG in Exchange server 2010.

Hope it helps.

Thanks

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, April 6, 2011 7:37 AM

All replies

• Why wouldn't you just bring up a new server in the DAG, create new database copies, and when the seeding is complete just make it the active server?
    Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Tuesday, April 5, 2011 12:14 AM
  • Hi,

From your description, the plan is good. And you can also refer to the article ‘Moving Exchange Servers to New Hardware and Keeping the Same Server Name’: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb332343(EXCHG.80).aspx

I recommend you consider Ed’s suggestion because one of the most features is DAG in Exchange server 2010.

Hope it helps.

Thanks

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, April 6, 2011 7:37 AM
  • Yep,

I was trying to avoid it but your solution is probably much easier.

Thanks

Wednesday, April 6, 2011 10:45 AM
  • I'm confident that it's not only easier, but much less risky.
    Wednesday, April 6, 2011 1:45 PM