Access Denied on RAS VPN Connection RRS feed

• Question

• I can't browse file shares through a VPN connection

I have a Windows Server 2012 (Hosted online)

I have a Windows 7 Client, that is part of another domain.

I have setup a RAS VPN, and can connect to other services on the Machine.  SQL Server Management Console connects to the database services on the MachineName, and I can see the list of shares. So I know:

* The VPN is working
    * There's no problem with networking or DNS or machine names or anything similar.
    * The firewall is working correctly.  (Allow Any on the VPN IP Range)  
    * File and Printer Sharing is working

I can view the list of Shares, but can't connect.  When I try to browse the shares I get an Error: Access is Denied.

I'm a member of the Administrators Group, and have permissions to the Shares and the File System.  

Just in case there was something weird with which user account was connecting, I made sure I explicitly stated it.  
    net use \\Machine\Share /USER:MachineName\Username

Local Policies allow access from the network.  There are no "Deny" settings in User Rights Assignments.

I'm not that experienced at setting up RAS VPN's so might have missed something...

Monday, August 10, 2015 6:24 PM

Answers

• Hi blue petal,

Base on my understanding, the client belongs to one domain. And you use VPN to enable the client to connect another domain.

Since you have connect VPN successfully and could view the list of shares, it seems that the configurations of VPN are right.

It is recommended that we may check the user rights of the share files, verify if we have correct rights to access it.

In order to test if the problem is caused by user permission, we may create a file to share with everyone and permit full control.

Best regards,

Anne he

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 12, 2015 5:01 AM

All replies

• Hi blue petal,

Base on my understanding, the client belongs to one domain. And you use VPN to enable the client to connect another domain.

Since you have connect VPN successfully and could view the list of shares, it seems that the configurations of VPN are right.

It is recommended that we may check the user rights of the share files, verify if we have correct rights to access it.

In order to test if the problem is caused by user permission, we may create a file to share with everyone and permit full control.

Best regards,

Anne he

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 12, 2015 5:01 AM
  • I have full permission to everyone on a folder and it permits only read to VPN user. VPN user also has administrator rights.
    Friday, November 23, 2018 11:09 PM