Functionality Differences in Filters on Grand Totals in ProClarity Web Standard vs ProClarity Desktop Professional RRS feed

• Question

• It appears that the ProClarity Web Standard allows one to set filters on a Grand Total column, but ProClarity Professional only allows filters to be set on the individual columns, not the Grand Total.

For example, my rows are a store location and my columns are fiscal weeks. Under each fiscal week column is displayed the sales order quantity by store. A Grand Total shows the total sales by store over the fiscal weeks displayed. In Web Standard, I can set a filter that lets me exclude total store sales (Grand Total) that meet a certain threshold allowing me to focus on the underperformers. Comparable filtering in Web Professional only allows me to set filters on the constituent columns in each fiscal week, not the Grand Total.

Can you explain if this is truly a difference in functionality or if I am just missing the way to accomplish this in ProClarity Professional?

Thank you.

Karl Lacher

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 8:23 PM

Answers

• Hello Karl,

I have looked into the issue you're experiencing.  It appears that within Professional filtering should not include the Grand Totals column (the below is copied from the help files):

Navigation considerations for filtering

When working filtered queries, keep in mind the following behavior:

• If you pivot a filtered view, the settings apply to the other axis, for example, on Columns rather than on Rows.

• You cannot apply a filter when subtotals are on Columns.

• Grand totals are not included in filtering calculations.

That being said, I would believe the Web Standard client should also honor those settings, as ProClarity tailors the two products (thick and thin) to behave the same way.  I agree that it is a nice feature to be able to filter your Grand Totals by a top count, etc.  I will look into this and get back to you, ok?

Thanks again for bringing this to our attention.

Regards,

Amanda

Saturday, August 2, 2008 12:00 AM

All replies

• Hello Karl,

Thanks for submitting your inquiry to our forum.  The Web Professional client should contain the same exact functionality as the Web Standard client.  That being said, you should be able to perform the same filters / totalling options within both clients.  While in the Professional client, try right clicking the Grid background and choosing Totals / Totals Options.  Are you able to see what you need within that Totals Options dialogue?

If not, can you see if you can replicate the issue using Adventure Works data and then send us the repro steps?

Thanks so much,

Amanda Ruffner

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 11:55 PM
  • Thanks Amanda. I am not able to apply the same level of filtering in Professional that I can with Standard. I have a Word document with the screen shots, but I don't know if there is a way to post that to this forum.

Thursday, July 31, 2008 9:25 PM
  • Hello Karl,

I have looked into the issue you're experiencing.  It appears that within Professional filtering should not include the Grand Totals column (the below is copied from the help files):

Navigation considerations for filtering

When working filtered queries, keep in mind the following behavior:

• If you pivot a filtered view, the settings apply to the other axis, for example, on Columns rather than on Rows.

• You cannot apply a filter when subtotals are on Columns.

• Grand totals are not included in filtering calculations.

That being said, I would believe the Web Standard client should also honor those settings, as ProClarity tailors the two products (thick and thin) to behave the same way.  I agree that it is a nice feature to be able to filter your Grand Totals by a top count, etc.  I will look into this and get back to you, ok?

Thanks again for bringing this to our attention.

Regards,

Amanda

Saturday, August 2, 2008 12:00 AM
  • Hello again Karl,

I wanted to let you know that this issue has been submitted to the ProClarity lab as a Feature Suggestion, whereas the Professional Client would take advantage of the Grand Total within its Filtering options.

Kind Regards,

Amanda

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 6:35 PM