"Uninstall" Not Available with many 3rd-party applications RRS feed

• Question

• I posted this on MSDN's Vista Forum.  A dozen people looked, but nobody responded.  Hopefully someone here will have a clue.  I'm running Vista Business which I got stuck with when I bought a new loaded Dell.

Anyway, when I go into Control Panel>Programs & Features and click on a program, the "Uninstall" option/feature fails to appear for at least half of my listed programs.  Most of the ones that do not display that option also display no Manufacturer.  I don't know if this is relevant, but the two seem to be somehow related.

While I'm here I'd like to mention that the Mac ads are right on target.  I've wasted hundreds (no exaggeration!) of hours wrestling with Vista-related problems of all varieties.  The features I seem to use more than any others are System Restore and Task Manager.

Hope you can help with this particular problem. 

Friday, December 21, 2007 9:14 PM

All replies

• From the Programs and Features applet, what options are available when you right-click on the programs you're trying to uninstall? It should bring up a context menu including the uninstall option.
    Saturday, December 22, 2007 11:22 PM
  • Russell,

Uninstall only appears on the context menu when/if it also appears up top.  I tried every program.  There were none for which right-clicking made any difference.  Most of the programs that do not display the uninstall option do not have a named Manufacturer either.  Most of the programs that do have a Manufacturer also allow uninstall, but there are a couple that don't.

Very frustrating.

Sunday, December 23, 2007 3:48 PM
  • Specifically what third-party applications are you trying to uninstall? Do you even have the option to repair or change the programs? I have access to a number of Vista Business machines, and I've never seen a situation where the option to uninstall was not available for an installed program listed in Programs and Features.
    Monday, December 24, 2007 4:55 AM
  • Open Office, Star Office, a few Microsoft products (e.g. Works), Ironspeed (old version), Articulate, several other utility-type apps that I was trying out.

No, Change/Repair are similarly unavailable.  In a couple of instances even when Uninstall is available I get an error that Vista can't find the install.log.

Is there such a thing as "Repairing" Vista itself?  I think mine is really screwed-up.

Monday, December 24, 2007 12:32 PM