none
Bitlocker enquiry RRS feed

• Question

• My daughter spilt water on her laptop and shorted the battery and blew the main board. She lost important coursework that is due for submission imminently. We have sought advice as not very technical and apparently the hard disk is working but is encrypted with Bitlocker which we definitely didn't install- had never heard of it. It is a Dell Inspiron 13 5379 which we bought new from a reputable UK retailer. Is there any way I can find or access the recovery key? It is running Windows 10 Home edition. Any suggestions gratefully received. thanks  
    Monday, April 29, 2019 6:50 PM

All replies

• Hi,

After researching, I discovered numerous DELL customers report this as an issue -- where they did not turn on BitLocker yet are being told to provide their recovery key.

According to this link, BitLocker can automatically enable if your system meets certain hardware and configuration requirements and you choose to sign into your PC using a Microsoft account rather than a local account.

This article recommends the steps to checking for a recovery key: Find my BitLocker recovery key

*In your Microsoft account: Sign in on another computer or phone to see Bitlocker recovery keys.

That there is a good chance that your key is saved in your Microsoft accounts.

Another method, if you haven't enabled BitLocker on the system it may be possible to boot back into the system by disabling secure boot from the BIOS and once you are in Windows you can disable BitLocker and update the system.

If you power on the system and repeatedly tap the F2 key in quick session you can access the BIOS. You will be looking for a menu for Boot Options and from within there you can disable "Secure Boot". Click on apply and then restart the system. Hopefully this bypasses the BitLocker prompt and you can now log into Windows as normal.

Hope these can help you. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Kapil.AryaMVP Tuesday, April 30, 2019 8:57 AM
    Tuesday, April 30, 2019 3:37 AM
  • ....We have sought advice as not very technical and apparently the hard disk is working but is encrypted with Bitlocker which we definitely didn't install- had never heard of it....... It is running Windows 10 Home edition.

Hello,

Are you sure it is Windows 10 Home? Because BitLocker is not available on Windows 10 Home.

If it is Windows 10 Pro, you can locate the recovery key here (after signing into your account):

https://onedrive.live.com/recoverykey

Hope this helps!

Microsoft MVP (Windows and Devices for IT)

Windows Insider MVP

Windows Help & Support [www.kapilarya.com]

Tuesday, April 30, 2019 8:56 AM