none
DPM 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Ok, I'm very confused when it comes to DPM 2010.  I have numerous physical and virtual machines (running Hyper-V), connected to a SAN via iSCSI and they are clustered.  With DPM 2010, I want to be able to restore individual files from within my virtual machines and I also want the option to recover the entire Virtual machine in a DR situation.  I also have Exchange 2010 to backup.  I am backing up to disk for short term backup and tape for long term.

How can I do this?  I have also found out that DPM 2010 doesn't backup the system states to tape....why is this?
    Monday, April 1, 2013 3:30 PM

All replies

•  If you are running hyper-v you can protect the whole virtual machine and still recover files from it without having to restore the whole file as long as its from short term storage , if you are running another hypervisor you need to use agent based backups

for exchange/sql you normally have a backup agent install to allow graunlary backups

system state is being copied to tape but during the systemstate backup DPM runs a WindowsImageBackup inside the VM/Server and that will be copied to tape together with the C: being protected so you have the data its just a two step process if you go beyond what you have allocated for short term

Ref : http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/archive/2011/10/31/troubleshooting-data-protection-manager-system-state-and-bare-metal-backup.aspx

my blog is at http://flemmingriis.com , let me know if you found the post or blog helpfull or leaves room for improvement

Monday, April 1, 2013 9:27 PM
  • I'm still a bit confused to be honest.  So, is it not possible to recover a whole virtual machine from long term tape storage? When I attempt to browse the content of my virtual machine, I am shown "Backup using Child Partition", which I cannot select from and "All Protected Volumes" which shows the network drive that this virtual machine is currently assigned on the SAN and when I browse it I am shown both the C drive and D drive .vhd files but that's it.

Thanks for your assistance, I'm new to DPM

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 8:08 AM
  • DPM supports item-level recovery (ILR), which allows you to do granular recovery of files, folders, volumes, and virtual hard disks (VHDs) from a host-level backup of Hyper-V virtual machines to a network share or a volume on a DPM protected server.

A general description of what is supported is available in the content titled "Item-Level Recovery for Hyper-V" at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff634221.aspx.

The specific steps outlining the Procedure for Item-Level Recovery of Files and Folders is available at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff634207.aspx

Thanks,
    Michael Vargo

-------------------- Regards, Michael V [MSFT] - This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 3:40 PM
  • I selected my Hyper V guest via my cluster shown in the available members pane.  From here I can see SCVMM server resources and have selected both the drive letter from the SAN and the Hyper V Backup Using Child Partition snapshot\server.  Once I select this on the server and it begins a replication, I get the following error: 

Description:        The replica of Microsoft Hyper-V \Backup Using Child Partition Snapshot\server on server.domain.com is inconsistent with the protected data source. All protection activities for data source will fail until the replica is synchronized with consistency check. You can recover data from existing recovery points, but new recovery points cannot be created until the replica is consistent.

Failure occurred while adding one or more of the volumes involved in backup operation to snapshot set. Please check the event log on server.domain.com to troubleshoot the issue. (ID 30290 Details: Internal error code: 0x80990A00)

What is this error about.  I currently am just using the DPM Agent on the individual guest machine to backup but given I am using hyper v, I want to be able to recover the VM as a whole

Many thanks

Wednesday, April 3, 2013 8:43 PM
  • The error indicates there was a problem creating a snapshot of the VM on the hyper-v host.  Are any VSS errors recorded in the application log of the host when the backup is initiated?  Also, are you using a hardware VSS provider?  If you are then also look for events related to the hardware provider. 

-------------------- Regards, Michael V [MSFT] - This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, April 4, 2013 10:32 PM
  • I don't think I am using a Hardware VSS Provider....how can I check this?
    Sunday, April 14, 2013 5:40 PM
  • Run "vssadmin list providers" from an elevated command prompt on the Hyper-V hosts.

Thursday, April 25, 2013 10:42 PM
  • It looks like my snapshots didn't have enough reserved space and it is now working, thank you.

Can I ask, if I backup my Windows 2008 Domain Controller as a VHD on the host, will I be able to restore in a DR and get my domain fully functional?  Does this VHD include the system state etc required?

Sunday, May 5, 2013 8:13 PM