none
Longterm disk backup storage challange RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We have a DPM 2012 SP1 setup where we have a challenge on the longterm backup strategy. Tape is not an option as it has just been replaced by a storage solution.

Does someone have some examples on how to store 5 years data, it will be around 20TB of data in those 5 years.

BR

René

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 3:56 PM

Answers

• Hello,

We have a DPM 2012 SP1 setup where we have a challenge on the longterm backup strategy. Tape is not an option as it has just been replaced by a storage solution.

Does someone have some examples on how to store 5 years data, it will be around 20TB of data in those 5 years.

BR

René

DPM does not directly support disk for long term storage , you are better off with a 3rd party extension like filestreamer from Cristalink to use disk for long term storage.

Another solution is to chain DPM servers so you have 1-30 days on DPM server A , and then DPM Server B protect the data from DPM Server A , this can give you a higher retention on the secondary server at the cost of more disk space

But you will need a lot more storage and my guestimate is that a tape library will be cheaper and also give you the option to separate data offsite

my blog is at http://flemmingriis.com , let me know if you found the post or blog helpfull or leaves room for improvement

• Marked as answer by RFalken Wednesday, January 23, 2013 9:29 PM
    Wednesday, January 23, 2013 6:32 PM