vista home premium downgrade to xp... needing drivers for toshiba A205 RRS feed

• Question

•  

First the polite technical questions:

Has anyone successfully downgraded from Vista Home Premium to ANY version of XP? Specifically with a (5 month old) Toshiba Satellite A205? I have called and emailed everyone from the the retailer to Toshiba and the answer has been a consistent "no- can't happen".

Now for the irrational ranting:

When I first got my laptop, I didn't see what the big deal was. Why are so many people having issues with Vista? It seemed fine to me.

Then within the first week everything started going downhill. The CD/DVD rewriter failed, then the cd/dvd drive itself failed, the sound failed next, followed by all my windows office apps and more after that. And, yes, everything was re-installed - several times as within a week of having them, they're gone again. I have no viruses or spyware and I never go anywhere that I might potentially pick something up.

In addition to all the failures, the lock ups are just as frustrating. Ctrl, Alt, Delete has become the norm and half the time I'm having to use it before I even get an application open all the way. Especially with Mail and Explorer. I have generic failures popping up all the time that have no specific reason, just "failed to open" or "unexpected error has occured" or "not responding".

I am struggling daily with the urge to smash my laptop on my driveway just to get the instant gratification of hearing/ seeing it explode! 

I don't want to know what to do next with Vista. Just how to get rid of it!

Thank you.

Sunday, June 1, 2008 6:53 PM

Answers

• Hi,

OEM downgrade rights for desktop PC operating systems apply to Windows Vista Business and Windows Vista Ultimate as stated in the License Terms. Please note, OEM downgrade versions of Windows Vista Business and Windows Vista Ultimate are limited to Windows XP Professional (including Windows XP Tablet PC Edition and Windows XP x64 Edition). End users can use the following media for their downgrade: Volume Licensing media (provided the end user has a Volume Licensing agreement), retail (FPP), or system builder hologram CD (provided the software is acquired in accordance with the Microsoft OEM System Builder License). Use of the downgraded operating system is governed by the Windows Vista Business License Terms, and the end user cannot use both the downgrade operating system and Windows Vista Business. There are no downgrade rights granted for Windows Vista Home Basic or Windows Vista Home Premium.

For more information, please refer to the following site:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/f/4/5f4c83d3-833e-4f11-8cbd-699b0c164182/royaltyoemreferencesheet.pdf

Currently, I suggest continue using Windows Vista on your computer. In fact, Windows Vista is the newest operating system now. If there are many issues on your computer now, I suggest backing up your important files, restoring the system to its factory settings. After that, all issues will be resolved and we will get a clean environment of Windows Vista. Then please install Windows Vista Service Pack 1 and other updates immediately. Please also install firewalls and run anti-virus programs regularly.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Tuesday, June 3, 2008 3:45 AM