EventId=364,Type=Error,Category=Synchronization,Message=Content file download failed. Reason: HTTP status 404: The requested URL does not exist on the server. RRS feed

• Question

• we have 3 level deep downstream server and i see the following on this server

EventLogEventReporter.ReportEvent EventId=364,Type=Error,Category=Synchronization,Message=Content file download failed. Reason: HTTP status 404: The requested URL does not exist on the server.

It looks like when user approves the patch it first gets downloaded to WSUSUP2 and then copied to WSUSDown1 and then need to be on the last WSUS down

I see when we approve the updates only a few keep failing to download , others are downloaded fine by the downstream server

it may be timing issue but we have waited for couple of days and manually retried the downloads from downstream server

Is there anything specific to check as this is not happening to all updates and most of them download fine after some time.

Also what is the retry interval , does WSUS retry or we need to retry manually

• Edited by Kitaab Thursday, October 18, 2018 4:35 PM
    Thursday, October 18, 2018 4:30 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Thanks for your additional information.

1> Decline them on the upstream and downstream.
    2> Run SCW on the upstream and downstream,
    3> Re-approve them on the upstream to re-download them to upstream.
    4> Re-approve them on the downstream and check the result.

Good Luck,
    Ray

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Kitaab Sunday, October 28, 2018 2:12 PM
    Monday, October 22, 2018 12:58 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Your main WSUS server could download update files from internet successfully, but some updates could not be downloaded to downstream WSUS server, right? If i misunderstood something, please let me know.

It looks like the file required by downstream does not exist on the upstream, could you check it? And you need review the update status to check if they are expired.

Also refer to following link to check if it is useful.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/41372c48-7717-41c5-a54b-cecdaa9ede86/event-id-364-content-file-download-failed-reason-the-requested-url-does-not-exist-on-the-server?forum=winserverwsus 
    Hope my answer could help you.

Best Regards,
    Ray

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 19, 2018 8:30 AM
  • You are correct , our downstream server is not able to download some of the updates only 

Not sure if these are expired but seems the patches are not expired

I can see the patches are available on the content directory on upstream servers in the folders but somehow the downstream server is not able to recognize that

this is not happening for all files only some fail

Sunday, October 21, 2018 5:37 PM
  • Hello,

Thanks for the feedback.

The first thing is check that if there is enough space for update on the downstream.

And you could redo the download circle to check if it works with the second chance. Here is the steps.

1> Decline them on the upstream.
    2> Let downstream sync with upstream to get the decline status of updates.
    3> Run cleanup wizard on the downstream and then run in on the upstream to remove the update files.
    4> Re-approval those updates to restart the file downloading.

Then check that if downstream could download them this time.

Hope my answer could help you and look forward to your feedback.

Best Regards,
    Ray

Monday, October 22, 2018 1:52 AM
  • There is enough Disk space on all 3 Servers 

We do not manage approvals on the Upstream 

We only approve the updates on Downstream server and then it gets the patches 

Out downstream servers are running as Autonomous 

Monday, October 22, 2018 10:31 AM
  • Hello,

Thanks for your additional information.

1> Decline them on the upstream and downstream.
    2> Run SCW on the upstream and downstream,
    3> Re-approve them on the upstream to re-download them to upstream.
    4> Re-approve them on the downstream and check the result.

Good Luck,
    Ray

• Marked as answer by Kitaab Sunday, October 28, 2018 2:12 PM
    Monday, October 22, 2018 12:58 PM
  • I was able to get the downloads working again , did all the steps you mentioned .

Also i did notice proxy server was blocking exe files so allowed that in downloads.

Not sure which fixed the issue . But thank you so much for  poiniting me in the right direction.

Just 1 thing i noticed:

The Upstream Server downloaded the files but the number of files downloaded lets say for a particular approved in the corresponding folder is not same on the Upstream and downstream server 

e.g on Upstream server when the patch was approved in downstream server it created a folder D:\WSUS\WsusContent\A4 on it and also on the Upstream server 

Our upstream server downloads files form Microsoft i see there are 6 files in D:\WSUS\WsusContent\A4 on upstream server but 16 files in downstream server .. how is that possible.

Now no Updates in the Downstream show failed to download , could it be correct

Tuesday, October 23, 2018 11:40 AM
  • Hello,

Glad to hear that it works. You could mark replies that you find helpful as answers, which will help more people with the same issue.

Best Regards,
    Ray

Wednesday, October 24, 2018 1:17 AM