very high transaction log file growth RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

Running Exchange 2010 sp2 in a two node DAG configuration.  Just recently i have noticed a very high transaction log file growth for one database. The transaction logs are growing so quickly that i have had to turn on circular logging in order to prevent the log lun from filling up and causing the database to dismount. I have tried several things to try find out what is causing this issue. At first i thought this could be happening because of virus, an Active Sync user, a users outlook client, or our salesforce integration, howerver when i used exmon, i could not see any unusual high user activity, also when i looked at the itemcount for all mailboxes in the particular database that is experiencing the high transaction log file growth, i could not see any mailboxes with unusual high item count, below is the command i ran to determine this, i ran this command sever times. I also looked at the message tracking log files, and again could see no indication of a message loop or unusual high message traffic for a particlar day. I also followed this guide hopping that it would allow me to see inside the transaction log files, but it didnt produce anything that would help me understand the cause of this issue. When i ran the below tool againts the transaction log files, i saw DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD, or OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, or HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

I am starting to run out of ideas on how to figure out what is causing the log file build up. Any help is greatly appreciated.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/scottos/archive/2007/07/12/rough-and-tough-guide-to-identifying-patterns-in-ese-transaction-log-files.aspx

Get-Mailbox -database databasethatkeepsgrowing | Get-MailboxStatistics | Sort-Object ItemCount -descending |Select-Object DisplayName,ItemCount,@{name="MailboxSize";exp={$_.totalitemsize}} -first 10 | Convertto-Html | out-File c:\temp\report.htm

Bulls on Parade

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 3:26 PM

Answers

All replies