NoViewOnDrive Setting not being honored in Common Save Dialog RRS feed

• Question

• To restrict access to my C: drive from users using the Common Open/Save dialog, I set the decimal value of the NoViewOnDrives registry key to 4. This works well generally and if a user types in c:\ they get a message indicating that such access is redistricted. However, if they enter in c:\users\%username%, it brings them to their profile folder and allows them to save (naturally as they have write access to their profile). 

Q: Why is the NoViewOnDrives setting not being honored for C:\users\%username% yet it is for other paths such as C:\ and C:\users ?

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 5:44 PM

Answers

• Hi shocko,

Based on my test, the scenerio is as you stated. We can access the profile via inputing c:\users\%username%and can creare and save new file. Although you Prevent access to drives from My Computer, users still have right to save files to their user profiles. 

The easy way to prevent users to save data on a location is set folder redirection policy, redirect users’ desktop to a network share where users don’t have write permission. Create a network share on your server, but don’t grant write permission for domain users group.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Lany Zhang

• Marked as answer by Vivian_Wang Thursday, April 10, 2014 2:24 AM
    Thursday, March 27, 2014 6:27 AM