none
[Vista + SteadyState 2.5] Deny access to add/remove programs RRS feed

• Question

• Hello there,

In SteadyState I have restricted the access to the control panel, and with Windows XP it works like a charm.
    However in Windows Vista the "Add or remove programs" button in the toolbar of the explorer is still here, and even if the user doesn't have enough priviledges to remove applications, I would like to hide or disable it.

Thanks in advance,
    TechDK
    Thursday, September 18, 2008 8:03 AM

Answers

• Thank you Sean for your response but I've already tried to change this policy and it only hides the add/remove icon from the control panel, not from the explorer.

So I investigated in group policies and I finally found what I needed :
    User Configuration – Administrative Templates – Control Panel – Programs – Hide programs control panel (direct translation from my french version of Vista, sorry if it is not the exact terms in the english version).
    Enabling this group policy turns the
    "uninstall or modify a program" button into a "control panel" button, and this solves my problem as SteadyState denies its access.

Victory !!!
    Tuesday, September 23, 2008 10:32 AM

All replies

•  

Hi TechDK, it seems that this cannot be accomplished in Windows SteadyState configurations. However, I have two suggestions for you on this issue:

1.       Use standard accounts so that they do not have sufficient permission to uninstall programs.

2.       Use Group Policy to disable the function. You can locate the following path and check if any policy that meets your need:

Use Configuration – Administrative Templates – Control Panel – Add or Remove Programs

Hope this helps!

Friday, September 19, 2008 5:46 AM
  • Thank you Sean for your response but I've already tried to change this policy and it only hides the add/remove icon from the control panel, not from the explorer.

So I investigated in group policies and I finally found what I needed :
    User Configuration – Administrative Templates – Control Panel – Programs – Hide programs control panel (direct translation from my french version of Vista, sorry if it is not the exact terms in the english version).
    Enabling this group policy turns the
    "uninstall or modify a program" button into a "control panel" button, and this solves my problem as SteadyState denies its access.

Victory !!!
    Tuesday, September 23, 2008 10:32 AM