Document Library Permissions RRS feed

• Question

• I have a document library and the Root of the Lib, Visitors (SP built-in group) have Read rights only, Approvals are also enabled on the library.

The next level down are 2 folders HR & QC, inheritance is broken on both. Visitors still has Read and I have added an Active Directory QC-Contribute Group & a QC-Approve Group to the QC folder. These are working fine where the QC-Contribute can add and the QC-Approve can approve. HR is setup similarly with HR-xxx AD groups.

Folder Setup

Document Center   (rights -- Visitors Read)
    |
    --HR

--QC    (rights -- Visitors=Read, QC-Contribute=Contribute, QC-Approve=Design)
      |  
      --Monitoring   (rights -- Monitor-Contribute=Contribute, QC-Approve=Design)

The Issue

I have adding a new subfolder to the QC folder called Monitoring. Inheritance is again broken so I can remove the Visitors and add a new Monitor-Contribute group directly to the folder.

Members of the Monitor-Contribute only seem to have Read rights. If i give this same group Full rights, the permissions are elevated as expected.

I checked the Contribute Permission Level to confirm its still setup default and it is. Even if I add the user AD account directly to the permissions on the folder with Contribute they still only have Read.

Stunpals - Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.
    • Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Tuesday, August 16, 2011 9:32 AM admin q not general (From:SharePoint - General Question and Answers and Discussion (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Friday, August 12, 2011 5:08 PM

Answers

• Looks like the issue was the fact that the new folder "Monitoring" had itself not been approved.

Will do more testing with other staff.

Friday, August 12, 2011 5:37 PM

All replies

• Looks like the issue was the fact that the new folder "Monitoring" had itself not been approved.

Will do more testing with other staff.

Friday, August 12, 2011 5:37 PM
  • Please allow someone else to mark your answer.  Thanks
    Kris Wagner, MVP, MCITP, MCTS Twitter @sharepointkris Blog: http://www.sharepointkris.com/blog
    Monday, August 15, 2011 2:01 AM
  • First off, I figure out I over looked something and want to let any other members that may have read or were planning on investing their time to assist me that the issue has been figured out. How else do yo communicate that without marking it as "Answered"?

Second, you ridiculous statement "Please allow someone else to mark your answer.  Thanks", makes no sense, as how is anyone going to be able to confirm what I did actually fixed my issue.

By me marking it as answered, lets people know they don't need to assist me on this and it also lets others who may have a similar issue or are searching there is an answer for this thread.

Maybe you should take some time to think about this before you change my thread. What you did makes no sense and now this thread will sit unanswered unless one of the other moderators or myself marks it as read again. The only way someone else will now mark this as read will be that they agree with me and see what you have done is only defeat the function of these forums.

I'll say this again, if the moderators of this forum spent more time assisting in resolving these issues instead of getting in the way of the forum members trying to help each other this could be a more effective tool.

Monday, August 15, 2011 2:56 PM
  • I agree that you as the Original Poster (OP) of this thread have the right (and indeed ought to) to mark your own answer (to your own question) as the answer because only you (as the OP) know when your question has been answered.

However don't be too hard on Kris. He's spending a lot of time on Moderation these days and the occasional mistake is bound to creep in. In this case he was probably thinking that you (a non OP) were proposing your own post (never a good idea).

It's easily done.

Just be grateful (occasionally) for the good things we non-MS Moderators do in the forums in our spare time and try to see past the occasional blunders.

Mike

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 9:30 AM