How to view members of Dynamic Distribution Group via Outlook client? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Is it possible to view the members of a DDG via the outlook cliënt (exchange 2010 SP1 + Outlook 2010)? For a normal Distribution Group I can see who are the members by viewing it's properties but not for a Dynamic Distribution Group....

Thnx Remco

Tuesday, September 28, 2010 5:56 PM

Answers

• The members of a DDG are calculated when someone sends a message to it and might not be the same eight seconds before the message of three seconds after it. Simply trying to look at the membership from Outlook does not enumerate the potential membership and anyway, even if you could there's every chance that the membership could change in the period of time between looking at the membership and actually crafting the message.
    "Remco Tiel" wrote in message news:39415e3a-af02-4dde-bcc4-cc7334233e55...

Hello,

Is it possible to view the members of a DDG via the outlook cliënt (exchange 2010 SP1 + Outlook 2010)? For a normal Distribution Group I can see who are the members by viewing it's properties but not for a Dynamic Distribution Group....

Thnx Remco

Mark Arnold, Exchange MVP.
    • Marked as answer by Remco Tiel Tuesday, September 28, 2010 6:58 PM
    Tuesday, September 28, 2010 6:54 PM

All replies

• The members of a DDG are calculated when someone sends a message to it and might not be the same eight seconds before the message of three seconds after it. Simply trying to look at the membership from Outlook does not enumerate the potential membership and anyway, even if you could there's every chance that the membership could change in the period of time between looking at the membership and actually crafting the message.

Hello,

Thnx Remco

• Marked as answer by Remco Tiel Tuesday, September 28, 2010 6:58 PM
    Tuesday, September 28, 2010 6:54 PM
  • Hello Mark,

Thnx for your reply, now I understand why and don't have to look any further....

Remco

Tuesday, September 28, 2010 6:58 PM
  • It's been this way since QBDG's in Exchange 2003 and the explanation has always been the same but I still don't understand the logic. A dynamic group is the same as a regular static group it just pulls the members based on an ldap query. You can see members in a static group through outlook. Those are calculated by outlook looking at the group membership at that time. If you wait 10 seconds it's always possible someone could manually have changed the group membership.

For dynamic groups, I don't understand why MS doesn't allow the LDAP query to be pulled/viewed from the Outlook client. It would be as accurate as AD was at that time. The fact that something can change between the time they quit looking at membership and send them email is true of any group.

It's always been a point of contention for our organization and it's confusing for users. The IT staff always gets questions on who is in what group which creates doubt and trust issues.

Friday, January 28, 2011 3:27 PM
  • For dynamic groups, I don't understand why MS doesn't allow the LDAP query to be pulled/viewed from the Outlook client. It would be as accurate as AD was at that time.

A couple quick reasons;

1. Membership of a QBDG is sometimes desired to be hidden from users.
    2. A QBDG may have a restricted sender list (ex. All Employee Lists) and admins don't want a user to click + in Outlook to expand the list and get around any submission restrictions.

For things like Transport Rules that use group membership the Hub Transport servers actually cache the group memberships for a period of time so they do not have to query AD every single time.

Microsoft Premier Field Engineer, Exchange
    MCSA 2000/2003, CCNA
    MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator 2010
    Former Microsoft MVP, Exchange Server
    My posts are provided “AS IS” with no guarantees, no warranties, and they confer no rights.
    Friday, January 28, 2011 5:20 PM

Hello,

Thnx Remco

If I open a new email in outlook 2010, and I click on the TO: button, it brings up the Global Address List.  If I use the Drop Down under "Address Book" I can select the Dynamic Distribution List and the members are show in the main window.

That being said, I notice that two of the three that I'm using didn't get updated until I went in and edited it, and walked through the wizard without making any changes.  Then they got updated.  One of the three was up to date without me doing anything, which is what I thought the whole point of Dynamic Distribution Lists was?

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 9:08 PM

Hello,

Thnx Remco

If I open a new email in outlook 2010, and I click on the TO: button, it brings up the Global Address List.  If I use the Drop Down under "Address Book" I can select the Dynamic Distribution List and the members are show in the main window.

That being said, I notice that two of the three that I'm using didn't get updated until I went in and edited it, and walked through the wizard without making any changes.  Then they got updated.  One of the three was up to date without me doing anything, which is what I thought the whole point of Dynamic Distribution Lists was?

Was this in a Exchange 2010 server environment?
    Tuesday, August 14, 2012 5:58 PM
  • Is there a way to do this in PowerShell? I'd like to create a text file of the members.
    Friday, August 17, 2012 8:22 AM
  • Hi Mark,

thanks for your explanation. This was some years ago: What came to my mind was the fact, that OL 2013 shows the number of recipients in the info area also for Dynamic Distribution Lists. 

How is this possible? Is there a new property that includes the number of members for Dynamic DLs?

Thanks, Martin

Wednesday, April 8, 2015 1:56 PM
  • #Get membership of dynamic distribution group

$group = Get-DynamicDistributionGroup "name of Group"
    Get-Recipient -RecipientPreviewFilter $group.recipientfilter

Alex

• Proposed as answer by Hendhy Friday, April 21, 2017 2:48 AM
    Wednesday, July 6, 2016 1:51 PM