none
Migrating from XenServer 7.0 to Hyper-V 2016 Server

Question

• Hi,

Over the last week or so I've been trying to get Windows VMs migrated from XenServer 7.0 to Hyper-V 2016 Server.

I have tried so many different methods such as:

• Exporting to XVA format, then converting to OVF and extracting the VHD for attaching to a Hyper-V VM
    • Using disk2vhd on the live VM for the same
    • Running VMware vCenter Converter on the live VM
    • Starwind and other tools for converting exported VM formats to Hyper-V formats
    • And finally, Microsoft Virtual Machine Converter 3.1

I'm sure there are other methods I've tried, too, but without success. Usually, what happens with basic disk conversions is that Windows starts to boot (the logo displays), and then blue-screens with 'SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED'

Microsoft Virtual Machine Converter 3.1 gets to 100% on the 'Convert disk(s)' stage, then fails with 'The object invoked has disconnected from its clients. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80010108 (RPC_E_DISCONNECTED))'. The firewall is completely disabled on the client and server as I had earlier issues, and BITS is installed on the server.

In terms of the versions of Windows I've tried to migrate, I've used Windows Server 2012 and Windows 10 Pro, both with the same results.

Any ideas? Thanks.

• Edited by tyh-chris Friday, February 3, 2017 11:27 AM
    Friday, February 3, 2017 11:24 AM

All replies

• A little searching of this forum for 'Xenserver' would have pointed to a number of posts on the same topic. 

According to previous posts, the only tool that might work is http://community.citrix.com/display/xs/Kensho.

Even then, the recommended way to convert is to rebuild in the new environment.

. : | : . : | : . tim

Friday, February 3, 2017 1:38 PM
  • A little searching of this forum for 'Xenserver' would have pointed to a number of posts on the same topic. 

According to previous posts, the only tool that might work is http://community.citrix.com/display/xs/Kensho.

Even then, the recommended way to convert is to rebuild in the new environment.

It's a way to go for production 100%, but you also want to have POC or lab test similar to what you already have, and this is where V2V conversion tools come handy. 

P.S. Thanks for Kensho link, will definitely check what it does for VMs we don't do in our migration software ;)

Cheers,

Anton Kolomyeytsev [MVP]

StarWind Software Chief Architect

Profile:   Blog:   Twitter:   LinkedIn:  

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

• Proposed as answer by Taras Shved Friday, February 3, 2017 7:26 PM
    Friday, February 3, 2017 2:54 PM
  • Export to OVF (not OVA) and use the resulting VHD.

You have to re-create the VM configuration, but not the disks.

You have to remove the xentools from the VM.  As you will lose the paravirtualization driver during any attempt to live remove them.

Have you looked up Citrix Project Kensho?

Brian Ehlert
    http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

Friday, February 3, 2017 4:18 PM
  • Hello tyh-chris, 

When you are attaching VHD to a Hyper-v, are you using IDE connection for a Virtual Disk? Try doing that it should help you. Do not forget to remove XenServer Tools and instal Integration Services afterwards.

• Proposed as answer by Taras Shved Friday, February 3, 2017 7:26 PM
    Friday, February 3, 2017 5:18 PM
  • Hi,
    Are there any updates?
    You could mark the reply as answer if it is helpful.
    Best Regards,
    Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 2, 2017 7:36 AM
  • Hi guys,

this is my first reply (yeahh).But it is very disappointed because i got the same Problem.I was searching for help but didn´t find the right one.I tried many ways but in the end it doesn´t work.

We have three XenServer (2x 7.0 and 1x 6.5)I tried first with a Win7 Machine from the 7.0.After it doesn´t work i took a Win2012r2 from the 7.0Export Machine to vhd and ovf file. Convert with hyper-v from vhd to vhdx. I do Create new Machine as Generation 2 and also as Generation 1 (Generation 2 wasn´t able to start because Hyper-v didn´t recognize the hdd while booting)

In Generation 1 i can see the Windows sign. But then it will get BSOD

I could start both machines in safe mode but i can´t install in safe mode any Drivers or uninstall any Software

Tomorrow i will try the Windows Server built in Tool Windows BAckup Service.

I don´t know why all the other guys describe the easy convert because it seems to that this way do not work!

Or am i doing anything wrong?!?!?! In my next live i will become a baker ^^

• Edited by Stefaan2 Saturday, July 1, 2017 9:57 AM
    Saturday, July 1, 2017 9:56 AM
  • Hello Stefaan, 

Have you tried doing Sysprep on your Windows VMs before converting? It should help you booting the VM on the Hyper-V host. https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824938.aspx

Also, in StarWind V2V converter when convertning to VHDX, there is an option "Activate Windows Repair Mode". It should also help. https://www.starwindsoftware.com/converter

Cheers,

Alex Bykvoskyi

StarWind Software

Blog:   Twitter:   LinkedIn:  

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Tuesday, July 4, 2017 10:58 AM
  • Hey there,

thx for your reply. First i tried the integrated BAckup Service of Windows. It doesn´t work.

I got the same issue while booting the VHD(X). Next i tried the sysprep function. I did Startup the VM in XEN. I have done sysprep /generalize. Then i have shut down the vm. I do Export to vhd and ovf file. i do convert the vhd to vhdx file. I do create a Gen1 VM in Failovercluster with the new vhdx. Same issue BSOD. Repairmode with Windows disk did not work while booting. The repairmode after convert with starwind did not work too. It is very embarassing. It seems to be i have to create new VM´s on the Failovercluster. If anybody has a idea???

EDIT: The BSOD says "System_Thread_Exception_not_handled"

• Edited by Stefaan2 Wednesday, July 5, 2017 7:02 AM
    Wednesday, July 5, 2017 6:21 AM
  • Hi, I'm in the process of doing the same thing. You have all the steps correct except after you boot on safe mode, open the device manager. Once in Device manager select "view hidden devices". You will have to remove all the xen devices. There should be a few grey hard drive devices, the xen storage controller, NIC driver and a few other bus drivers. Once you remove them you will be able to boot without the BSOD.

• Proposed as answer by Tewwor Sunday, July 16, 2017 4:24 AM
    • Edited by Tewwor Sunday, July 16, 2017 4:25 AM
    Sunday, July 16, 2017 4:21 AM