Drive Mapping RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I have an application which relies on a mapped drive letter (P:) in order to access a license file. The host OS may already have a P: drive mapped to a different UNC path so i was hoping to virtualise the drive mapping to override anything that may be on the host machine. 

I have tried to sequence the drive mapping process with the application in several ways.

Mapping the drive via explorer whilst monitoring.   Effect = virtual machine still uses host OS P: drive mapping
    Running a .reg file whilst monitoring to add details to HKCU:/network/P registry.   Effect = virtual machine still uses host OS P: drive mapping
    Added the registry entries manually post-monitoring via sequencer.    Effect = virtual machine still uses host OS P: drive mapping

A script in the OSD file to do a ‘net use /delete’ and then net use p: unc path prior to launch with protected = true parameter so it should run inside virtual machine. Effect was that it changed the drive mapping on my host OS and did not change it back when application was shut down.
    Tried running a cmd prompt in the Virtual app bubble and mapping a drive. Effect was that it changed the host os again.

My searches accross the internet have mostly turned up writing 'net use' script in the OSD. I would rather not run a script in the OSD file which remaps the drive and effects the Host Operating system, as someone may be using data on the P drive. Is is possible to map a drive only in the virtual machine which will be accessed over the host os drive mapping?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 10:23 AM

Answers

• This will always over right the current drive mapping you have to P: when running the script in the .OSD.

There is no way to map a P: drive in the bubble as a separate drive mapping.

Must be a way this application can read the licensee file from a UNC Path?

Regards

Mike.

• Marked as answer by Desbloom_ Tuesday, June 29, 2010 11:27 AM
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 10:55 AM

All replies

• This will always over right the current drive mapping you have to P: when running the script in the .OSD.

There is no way to map a P: drive in the bubble as a separate drive mapping.

Must be a way this application can read the licensee file from a UNC Path?

Regards

Mike.

• Marked as answer by Desbloom_ Tuesday, June 29, 2010 11:27 AM
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 10:55 AM
  • My first question to the software manufacturer was if we could map to the UNC path rather than a drive letter as it would be much better. Sadly they said that it will only work mapped to a letter :(

Thank you for confirming that mapping a drive in the bubble will not work though.

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 11:01 AM