Excel 2010 cannot find TreeView ActiveX control RRS feed

• Question

• I had a lovely TreeView control in an Excel 2007 application on a UserForm. However, Excel 2010 cannot find it.

Tried dragging it from scratch and although the Microsoft Common Controls 6.0 shows up in the dialog (and checked that it exists - c:\windows\system32\mscomctl.ocx) it throws a 'not found' error when you drag and drop it on to a UserForm.

Interestingly, the TreeView control works when placed on a Worksheet. I believe that this is because the two controls are coming from a different source (true ?).

Has anyone come across this please? Any ideas on how to get around this?

Any ideas on how to (is it possible?) to use the WinForms equivalent in .NET instead in this Excel 2010 VBA solution?

If not, how easy is it to create a TreeView ActiveX component in VB6 from scratch that will work with Excel 2010 in VBA?

Thanks.

Sunday, June 20, 2010 11:53 AM

Answers

• JKP,

Solution: found and deleted any .exd files.

Looks like .exd files are there to help speed up loading of the .ocx . I think the install/uninstall should delete these when ungrading Office to 2010. In my case it didn't. A bug?

(I was using 32-bit on Vista)

Tuesday, June 22, 2010 11:28 PM

All replies

• Hi Hiran,

I had a lovely TreeView control in an Excel 2007 application on a
    UserForm
    . However, Excel 2010 cannot find it.

Is this a 64 bit version of Office 2010?

Regards, Jan Karel Pieterse|Excel MVP|http://www.jkp-ads.com
    Sunday, June 20, 2010 5:11 PM
  • JKP,

Looks like .exd files are there to help speed up loading of the .ocx . I think the install/uninstall should delete these when ungrading Office to 2010. In my case it didn't. A bug?

(I was using 32-bit on Vista)

Tuesday, June 22, 2010 11:28 PM
  • Hi Hiran,

Thanks for letting us know!

Regards, Jan Karel Pieterse|Excel MVP|http://www.jkp-ads.com
    Wednesday, June 23, 2010 5:28 AM