none
Windows Update never finds updates (Checking for updates never ends) RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to add the latest updates on my Windows 8 (64-bit) laptop (Asus Q400A-BHI7N03) and the checking for updates... never completes. I've even tried leaving it over night with no success.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 10:24 PM

Answers

All replies

•  try running the Windows Update Troubleshooter:

http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9830262

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 5:23 AM
    Answerer
  • Ok I ran the tool and it shows two possible problems...

1. Under "Check for missing or corrupt files" SFC Output: Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service.  (I haven't looked up this problem and how to fix it)

2. Under Detection details -> Error Report -> RootCause: RC_DataStore and Error Code: 0x80070490
    (I lookuped this error and it took me to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957310/en-us and told me to run some DISM commands.) This didn't do anything. THE DISM tool said everything was fine.

I also have a Open XPS file of the report if anyone wants to see it. There is no way to attach it.

I went and tried check for updates again with no success. 

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 5:45 AM
  • "Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service."

can can mean that you used th 32Bit cmd.exe on a 64Bit Windows or the "Windows Modules Service" is disabled. Check this.

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 6:25 AM
    Answerer
  • I am running the 64-bit cmd.exe and the Windows Modules Service is not disabled.
    Wednesday, October 23, 2013 6:30 AM
  • can you start the service?

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 7:15 AM
    Answerer
  • The was/is service is already running.
    Wednesday, October 23, 2013 3:54 PM
  • I have the same problem. In my case, the Windows Update Troubleshooter didn't fix the issue. It shows the following output:

Issues found

Problems installing recent 
    updates - Not fixed

Repair Windows Update - Completed

Check for missing or corrupt 
    files - Detected

Repair missing or corrupt files - Completed

Some security settings are missing or have been changed - Fixed

Reset security settings - Completed

Service registration is missing or corrupt - Fixed

Reset service registration - Completed

So the Update problem for some reason doesn't get fixed. Running the Troubleshooter again after restart gives exactly the same results. The Detection details says:

Service Status

Problem with BITS service : The requested service has already been 
    started.More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 

Service Status

Problem with BITS service : The requested service has already been 
    started.More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2182.

But running the "Windows Update" now instead of going on forever gives an error "WindowsUpdate_8024A008 OR WindowsUpdate_dt000". Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a solution to this so far.

It is really annoying because several other things don't work (changing keyboard layout with Win+Space, and generally opening Language settings in Control Panel takes like 30 seconds or so), and I hoped that updates would fix this. Thanks in advance for any help.

Edit: There's an unresolved thread about this error here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-windows_update/error-code-8024a008-when-trying-to-check-for/c1cc5a2f-9821-4072-bfcc-3b41c1717f6d
    Thursday, October 24, 2013 7:45 AM
  • 8024A008 = WU_E_AU_OOBE_IN_PROGRESS

So Windows thinks you're still in OOBE phase.

Thursday, October 24, 2013 7:21 PM
    Answerer
  • When I try and resolve this by running the following command...

Dism  /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

I get these error...

DISM OS Provider: PID=2992 TID=6060 Setting Windows folder to C:\Windows - CDISMOSServiceManager::SetWindowsDirectory
    DISM   DISM OS Provider: PID=2992 TID=6060 Failed to bind the online servicing stack - CDISMOSServiceManager::get_ServicingStackDirectory(hr:0x80070003)
    DISM   DISM OS Provider: PID=2992 TID=6060 Unable to retrieve servicing stack folder for DLL search path modification. - CDISMOSServiceManager::SetDllSearchPath(hr:0x80070003)
    DISM   DISM OS Provider: PID=2992 TID=6060 Unable to set the DLL search path to the servicing stack folder. C:\Windows may not point to a valid Windows folder. - CDISMOSServiceManager::SetWindowsDirectory(hr:0x80070003)
    DISM   DISM.EXE: Failed to set the windows directory to 'C:\Windows'. HRESULT=80070003

Yet aside from windows updates. My windows 8 instance is running fine. It has a C:\Windows directory. I'm posting this from the problem computer.

Again help on this would be greatly appreciated!

Friday, October 25, 2013 1:34 AM
  • try to refresh Windows 8 and see if this helps:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/01/04/refresh-and-reset-your-pc.aspx

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc

Friday, October 25, 2013 5:02 AM
    Answerer
  • 8024A008 = WU_E_AU_OOBE_IN_PROGRESS

So Windows thinks you're still in OOBE phase.

Thanks Andre. Any idea how can I resolve this?
    Friday, October 25, 2013 7:31 AM
  • try to refresh Windows 8 and see if this helps:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/01/04/refresh-and-reset-your-pc.aspx

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc

Andre, No such luck. I tried this and it would fail and all it would say is "Could not refresh".
    Friday, October 25, 2013 9:11 PM
  • backup all data and restore the factory image of Win8 that ASUS provides.

Saturday, October 26, 2013 6:44 AM
    Answerer
  • A complete restore is a cheap support cop out. Your saying re-install windows because we can't figure out how to fix it? Wow. Crazy.
    Saturday, October 26, 2013 8:18 PM
  • your Windows seams to be heavily damaged. If you want deeper analyzes phone the MS support.

Sunday, October 27, 2013 6:28 AM
    Answerer
  • This is the answer you give>? reinstall windows 8.1, your friggin flagship OS. Your kidding right? Nothing learned from windows 98 to now?? Any OS that needs to be completely reinstalled from scratch because it can not do an update is friigng insane..not to mention a complete waste of peoples time and energy.

Just another piece of junk pushed on people by MS and already this OS has MAJOR issues?? Windows XOP had these same issues...not being able to complete the scan for updates, and here we are 3 OS's later and this still happens. I still need to support this stuff and the only reason I stumble to these forums is for answers. But as usual MS answer is either jump through a thousand hoops while we try and figure out what got stomped on, or just do a FIFI.

What is FIFI....a term I coined for this exact problem..or any MS problem. F*&% It - Format It

What an utter waste of time and resources....Goodbye MS junk!!!

Thursday, December 5, 2013 8:03 PM
  • Any OS that needs to be completely reinstalled from scratch because it can not do an update is friigng insane..not to mention a complete waste of peoples time and energy.

But probably less of a waste of time and energy than the alternative: trying to diagnose a problem in a closed source (blackbox) system and find a workaround for it.   <eg>

However, if you want to do that instead there are some tools available and surprisingly a lot of logs to try to draw inferences from.   ProcMon is how I usually try to correlate and supplement them.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, December 5, 2013 9:00 PM
  • The real problem here is that it is not just Windows 8 that has this problem.

Windows 7 and XP SP3 also will not complete.

My main system runs XP home SP3 with automatic updates ON

Also running IE 8 and Office 2010.

On boot svchost runs 100% cpu with wauclt.exe bing the culprit and of course this is the windows update  process.

I have to kill this on boot up to have a sane system. So naturally I turn automatic updates off and try to use the Check for Update as clearly others above have tried. The process never finishes.

As far as I know (automatic updates being on) my system is uptodate.

Come on Microsoft YOU SURELY CAN DO BETTER THAN THIS (yes that is shouting!)

Thursday, December 12, 2013 5:32 PM
  • i dont think this would be a fix, but you could probably use it as a work around. http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/80ea7f39-c8f4-4547-940a-f87a1790f4ed/windows-81-wont-get-updates-in-audit-mode?forum=w8itproinstall

In the article theres a purposed method of running windows update via powershell that i use for imaging computers with windows 8 because in audit mode it knows the oobe hasnt been completed so you cant run updates at all. This bypasses the oobe requirements for windows  8 and downloads and installs updates right from powershell. you'll have to read down the page but theres a big blue powershell screen shot from the poster on the post im talking about.

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 9:08 PM
  • Windows 7 and XP SP3 also will not complete.

That may be the same symptom but it will be a different cause.  The problem there is that there are so many pre-req's to check that it overloads your system.   You could try using the Security Bulletin Search tool to find out which updates you would need to have to be current, then download and apply them manually, independently of WU.  Then WU would see that everything was up-to-date and not have to go through all that other overhead.  In fact, it may be sufficient just to do that with the latest cumulative update for IE.  Or use the WindowsUpdate.log to find out which one is causing the problem.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 10:19 PM
  • Anybody found a solution to the issue at hand yet? I got the same problems :(
    Sunday, February 9, 2014 4:17 PM
  • This Solution from Ian Crawford works great for me:

Look at the bottom of this thread: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/afc7f693-f742-402f-b513-063989b79c2f/windows-81-enterprise-windows-updates http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/2d191bcd-3308-4edd-9de2-88dff796b0bc 1.) Copy the whole module folder (after unzipping) to %WINDIR%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules 2.) Start up PowerShell ISE as admin from admin tools 3.) Set-ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned 4.) Import-Module PSWindowsUpdate 5.) Get-WUInstall 6.) The rest should be automated with some prompts.

Windows Update is working again! Thanks a lot!

• Proposed as answer by Winlex Saturday, February 15, 2014 1:27 AM
    Saturday, February 15, 2014 1:27 AM
  • This Solution from Ian Crawford works great for me:

Look at the bottom of this thread: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/afc7f693-f742-402f-b513-063989b79c2f/windows-81-enterprise-windows-updates http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/2d191bcd-3308-4edd-9de2-88dff796b0bc 1.) Copy the whole module folder (after unzipping) to %WINDIR%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules 2.) Start up PowerShell ISE as admin from admin tools 3.) Set-ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned 4.) Import-Module PSWindowsUpdate 5.) Get-WUInstall 6.) The rest should be automated with some prompts.

Windows Update is working again! Thanks a lot!

Seriously? THIS IS THE FIX?  You should NOT have to jump through THESE KINDS OF HOOPS TO UPDATE THE SOFTWARE.  Windows 8 is BROKEN.  LOOK AT THE BOARDS!  IT'S BROKEN!!!  Have you ever SEEN this kind of breakage, issues, errors and crap that require these kinds of back-end machinations to address?  Microsoft - YOU SUCK.  I'm getting a Mac.  Windows 8 IS THE BEST MARKETING PLOY APPLE COULD HAVE EVER HOPED FOR! 

Monday, February 17, 2014 6:21 PM
  • Incidentally, when I DID go to that link - I GOT A RUNTIME ERROR FROM YOU SERVER!!!!

Server Error in '/Forums' Application.

Runtime Error

Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".
    <!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
        <system.web>
            <customErrors mode="Off"/>
        </system.web>
    </configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.
    <!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
        <system.web>
            <customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>
        </system.web>
    </configuration>

Monday, February 17, 2014 6:23 PM
  • KD in LA (above):

There are actually two links provided in the quote:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/afc7f693-f742-402f-b513-063989b79c2f/windows-81-enterprise-windows-updates 

http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/2d191bcd-3308-4edd-9de2-88dff796b0bc

The error you listed only occurs when both html links are pasted into the address bar at the same time. I know since I did the same thing the first time around.

On a side note, the solution listed by Ian Crawford worked for me as a work around, however, I do agree that this is a problem that shouldn't have existed to begin with.

• Proposed as answer by tehpwnerer Monday, June 8, 2015 1:05 PM
    Wednesday, March 12, 2014 11:18 PM
  • I just let it sit for 15 minutes and the updates came up. Who knows. Patience sometimes?
    Sunday, June 22, 2014 2:46 AM
  • Windows 7 64 bit

Nothing worked until....

I was banging my head trying to figure out why none of the solutions actually solved my problem.  no matter what I did, I still got nothing when trying to do Windows updates.

Then it hit me.  

I had recently bought a new wireless router.  AC1900 to be exact.   It automatically includes IPv6 as an enabled standard.  Windows 7 also enables IPv6 as a standard.  Windows updates tries to use IPv6 when going out to get updates.  IPv6 is NOT used significantly enough yet.

Solution:

I went into the network card settings and unchecked IPv6.  Rebooted my clean installation of Windows 7, then went to Windows Updates.   It took about 45 minutes to search for the 221 updates, but it finally showed up, rather than sitting at "checking for Updates" for hours on end. 

So, disable the IPv6 on your NIC, reboot, and give a sigh of relief that your not actually crazy.

Sunday, April 24, 2016 12:10 PM
  • Thanks BJVaughn, turning off IP6 did it for me on a client's Windows 8 laptop that had taken over an hour "Checking for updates"

Steve Belleguelle Behest Computer Services

Friday, January 20, 2017 11:01 AM
  • Can you tell me how to go into the network card settings and unchecked IPv6 ??  I have 2 network cards.  I guess one is for wireless and one is for Ethernet.  1) Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160  2) RealTek PCIe GBE Family Controller.  I use wireless most often but can't find a place to turn off IPv6
    Monday, April 3, 2017 4:41 AM