none
keyboard randomly stops working RRS feed

• Question

• I've already been on a bunch of other threads relating to this issue and I'm really starting to panic.

My laptop is a HP running Windows 7 (I don't know how old it is, it was my brother's before he upgraded and gave it to me). Recently (as in a couple days ago) my keyboard would randomly start cutting out, all keys refusing to work. My mouse would still function fine (but it's a USB mouse since the trackpad stopped working about a year ago). On the first day I restarted it and it worked for the rest of the day. On the second day it happened again after the first restart, but worked for the rest of the day on the second restart. On the third day I restarted after uninstalling keyboard drivers, Windows automatically reinstalled when it came back on and it worked the rest of the day. HOWEVER, today, the fourth day, it stopped working very quickly and I had to restart again, trying the driver fix again.

It always crashes at some point after I log in (so it's never prevented me from typing in my password to log in or anything). Restarting has been working as a temporary fix every time, but only temporary. I have no idea what to do and have no access to a USB keyboard right now.

Saturday, September 17, 2016 5:40 PM

Answers

• Hi kirigear,

According to your description, make sure that you have installed the latest keyboard driver and the motherboard is updated as well. This kind of issue may be related to program conflicts. We could try start in Clean Boot to check.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Also we could use a external desktop keyboards do the same thing when plugged in the laptop. If it works, I suppose that your laptop keyboard has some hardware issue.

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 20, 2016 6:28 AM

All replies

• You need to either take your laptop to a competent computer repair shop for hardware diagnostics or simply contact HP about a replacement keyboard.

This is a hardware problem and Windows is not capable of compensating for defective hardware.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Saturday, September 17, 2016 5:58 PM
  • Hi kirigear,

According to your description, make sure that you have installed the latest keyboard driver and the motherboard is updated as well. This kind of issue may be related to program conflicts. We could try start in Clean Boot to check.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Also we could use a external desktop keyboards do the same thing when plugged in the laptop. If it works, I suppose that your laptop keyboard has some hardware issue.

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 20, 2016 6:28 AM
  • Hi kirigear,

Haven't received your message a few days, was your issue resolved? Because the case may be closed few days later.
    If you feel the suggestion could be helpful to you, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members who have same questions and find the helpful reply quickly.
    If no, please feel free to post back and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.
    Best regards,
    Carl Fan

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 8:15 AM