How does Dashboard Studio assign the DashboardId value? RRS feed

• Question

• If you create a new dashboard using Dashboard Studio, how does it decide on the dashboardid value? There seems to be some "memory" of previously used values.

For example, in the proclarity_PDA database, the highest dashboardid value is 48. If I choose to create a new dashboard, it will assign a value of 49. If I now delete that newly created dashboard (id=49), and then create a new dashbaord, it will use value 50. Where is it storing this value?

The reason this has come about is that we have a production and development systems, and we moved a database from dev to production (using a stored proc we have written). The id of the dashboard on dev is not used on live, but has been used in the past, and dashboard studio and dashboard server refuse to display it.

we're using dashboard v6.3

Can anyone help please?

thanks,

Nick
    Wednesday, August 6, 2008 12:46 PM

Answers

• I'd recommend taking a look at this whitepaper.

http://blogs.technet.com/proclarity/archive/2008/03/14/load-balancing-proclarity-dashboard-migration.aspx

You aren't load balancing as far as I know, but this does touch on how the Dashboard caches copies of the underlying structure to improve performance and options for dealing with that.

Have you tried resetting the application pool for the production dashboard instance after copying over a dashboard that already exists?  That should cause the Dashboard to pick up the new database information and show the new dashboard.

Wednesday, September 3, 2008 11:22 PM

All replies

•  

Nick,

We're doing some research and we'll let you know what we find.

Thanks,

-Joey

Friday, August 8, 2008 12:01 AM
  • One thing I do know is that Dashboard Server must "store" the values somewhere. So, if I create two dashbaords, and they get given ids of 60 and 61, and I then delete them. If I then restart dashboard server, then create a new dashboard, it will be given an id of 60.

thanks in advance for your help!

Nick
    Friday, August 8, 2008 7:17 AM
  •  

Nick,

In my testing, Dashboard always created new Dashboards using the next integer - for example I created Dashboards 0, 1, and 2, deleted all three, then restarted IIS, then created another Dashboard.  The integer assigned to the new Dashboard was 3. 

Are you changing the IDs when you process your task and move your DB data to the Production (live) server?  I would need some more explanation on why you might not copy all the data over so the IDs remain the same or why this is a problem. 

Thanks,

-Joey

Monday, August 11, 2008 4:56 PM
  • Hi Joey,

In our situation, we have a dashboard on production (live) and dev. We make some changes to the dashboard on dev, and then show the users, and they agree them. We then want to make these changes onto the live server. To ensure that dev and live are in sync with each other, and to save having to do the same changes again on the live system, I've written a stored proc which will copy a dashboard from dev and put it onto live. This only works if the dashboard doesn't already exist on live. So in the scenario where the dashboard hasn't been on live yet, then the proc will work fine.

However, when we've changed the dashboard on live, we want to be able to delete the dashboard, and then run our stored proc to copy the dashboard from dev to live. In this scenario, the stored proc works fine, however live can never see the dashboard, because, it seems, that it has "remembered" that it has deleted that dashboard. One workaround we have is that we delete all dashboard pages on live, but not the dashboard itself. We then modified our proc so that everything bar the dashboard is copied over. It would be good to know how Dashboard maintains the list of "old" dashboard ids though.

thanks,

Nick
    Tuesday, August 12, 2008 8:02 AM
  • Nick,

I haven't forgotten about you - I just haven't had the bandwidth to review this issue and do some more research.  It may be best for you to contact support on this issue - 1800Microsoft.

-Joey

Friday, August 22, 2008 6:07 PM
  • I'd recommend taking a look at this whitepaper.

http://blogs.technet.com/proclarity/archive/2008/03/14/load-balancing-proclarity-dashboard-migration.aspx

You aren't load balancing as far as I know, but this does touch on how the Dashboard caches copies of the underlying structure to improve performance and options for dealing with that.

Have you tried resetting the application pool for the production dashboard instance after copying over a dashboard that already exists?  That should cause the Dashboard to pick up the new database information and show the new dashboard.

Wednesday, September 3, 2008 11:22 PM