none
Master Project Group by Summary and Task RRS feed

• Question

• I am using MS Project 2010 Standard and have a master project with 10-15 sub-projects.  I know how to sort by task but I would like to sort by summary and then by task;  with summary just listed once and then the related tasks from all the projected listed under the corresponding summary task.

All the projects are using the same base template and terminology.

Is there any way that I can present it in this manner?

Monday, February 4, 2013 2:00 AM

All replies

• No, because Project doesn't consolidate at the summary tasks level. You can get close, but will still get summary task name duplications. If you really need that particular format, then I suspect you need to use a VBA macro to export data to Excel then group there. It's a fairly straightforward thing to do.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book

Rod Gill Project Management

Monday, February 4, 2013 8:45 AM
  • cassyanmeljer,

If I understand your template comment, each of your subproject files may have a summary line called "Hardware". Then in the master project you would like to sort such that "Hardware" appears once and all subtasks in all subprojects appear under that heading. Correct?

Rod's approach will certainly work and that's what I would most likely do, particularly if I needed to create a custom report, but there may be another way. It will require a little effort but it does not involve VBA.

First, I assume you are talking about a dynamic master file. If so, uncheck the "link to project" option such that you have a static master. If you already have a static master, then obviously you can ignore that step. Now do the following:

1. Outdent all summary lines at outline level 2

2. Delete the now extraneous tasks at outline level 1 that were formerly the subproject top summary line

3. Add the Number1 field to the view

4. Sort by Name. That will put all subtasks with like summary lines together

5. Select and move all like subtasks under the first summary line of that "group". Delete the now extraneous tasks that were group summary lines

A little work, but now you have a single file with single summary line headings for all subtasks of like name

John

Monday, February 4, 2013 4:10 PM