Drill down on just one member? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using Proclarity 6.3 Web Professional.  When I drill down on a dimension member, is there any way to limit it to 'just' that member?  Currently, when I click on a dimension member the tool drills down on ALL members of that dimension.  Thank you in advance...

KRS

Thursday, June 12, 2008 8:59 PM

Answers

• Hi KRS,

You are correct in stating that all members at the next level are returned when performing a drill down.  If you want to limit your query to just that particular member, you can right click the member you'd like to see and choose 'Show only'.  Another way of doing this is to manually select only that member within the Setup panel.

If I have misunderstood your question please feel free to elaborate.

Regards,

Amanda

Thursday, June 12, 2008 9:51 PM

All replies

• Hi KRS,

You are correct in stating that all members at the next level are returned when performing a drill down.  If you want to limit your query to just that particular member, you can right click the member you'd like to see and choose 'Show only'.  Another way of doing this is to manually select only that member within the Setup panel.

If I have misunderstood your question please feel free to elaborate.

Regards,

Amanda

Thursday, June 12, 2008 9:51 PM
  •  

Just as a follow up to my previous question (as we are getting repeated requests for this feature from users of both Standard and Professional).....is there anything that can be done within the dimensions in Analysis Services to limit the drill-down to 'only' the member which is selected?  I'm aware of the 'Show Only' option, but our users would prefer to see the drilled-down 'upon' member in relation to the other dimension members.  Additionally, if there a many members in the dimension it can take an unreasonable amount of time to expand all of them.  This is particularly irksome if the user is only interested in the children of one or two members.  Thank you!

Kole

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 7:46 PM
  • I don't think I'm clear on exactly what you're trying to accomplish.  When a user chooses to drill down, the MDX that is run is basically "member.children" in order to provide more detailed information about the member that was drilled into.  The idea of the drill down is to provide more granular information regarding the parent member, so I'm unclear as to exactly what your users are wanting to have happen.  Thanks for the clarification.

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 11:30 PM
  • Thanks for the reply, Ben.  What is happening on our end is when a user drills down on one member, it automatically drills down on all of the other 'peer' members instead of limiting it to just the member which was clicked on.  For example, we have a list of states comprised of major cities.  So what we would 'like' to happen is when a user clicks on 'Texas', it drills down to 'Dallas', 'Houston', 'San Antonio', etc.  But currently when a user does this, 'Texas' does break down into it's cities, but so do 'Arizona', 'Illinois', 'Virginia', etc.  We would prefer the other states remain at the top level and only the state which was clicked will break down into it's cities. 

Kole

Thursday, August 21, 2008 1:52 PM
  • Hello Kole,

If I understand correctly, you would like a view displaying:

Arizona

Illinois

Texas

Dallas

Houston

San Antonio

Virginia

Can you (from within the Professional client) perform a 'Ctrl + click' on the Texas member?  That should allow you to expand Texas while leaving the other members in tact.  (Essentially expanding Texas rather than drilling down.)

Let me know if that helps or if I have misinterpreted your request.

Thanks so much,

Amanda

Thursday, August 21, 2008 11:36 PM
  • Thanks Amanda, you understand perfectly what I'm looking for.  However, when I perform a 'Ctrl + click' on Texas, it expands both Texas and 'all' of the other states' cities.  And it's not just my 'State' dimension.  Whenever I try to drill down or expand a particular member of any dimension, the result is that all of the members of the dimension are drilled-down upon.

I appreciate the assistance nonetheless!

Kole

Friday, August 22, 2008 8:08 PM
  • When you perform a drilldown, the MDX sent to the cube asks for the children of that member.  Unless the cube is designed so that all cities roll up under all states, you should just get the cities that belong to a state.  You might continue trouble shooting with some simple queries against your hierarchy in management studio to see if you can narrow down the problem, but it sounds like something might be off in the cube.

Friday, August 22, 2008 10:13 PM
  • Since I'm not an expert at MDX, I was wondering if it might help to display the MDX of the query 'before' I drill-down and then 'after' I drill-down.  Here is an example:

MDX Before:

SELECT NON EMPTY { { { [Date].[Date].[Year].&[2008].&[3].&[7].&[20] } * { [Measures].[Calls Abandoned] } } } ON COLUMNS ,

NON EMPTY { { { [AP Name].[Ap Name].&[Bankruptcy], [AP Name].[Ap Name].&[CMD] } * DISTINCT( { [AP Name].[Site].[All].SIBLINGS }) } } ON ROWS

FROM [Call Detail Cube]

CELL PROPERTIES VALUE, FORMATTED_VALUE, CELL_ORDINAL

Displays: 

Bankruptcy | All |       12

CMD           | All |        35

Now, I drill down on the 'All' next to 'Bankruptcy'.  What I would like to see is 'Bankruptcy' expanded while CMD remains the same.

MDX After:

SELECT NON EMPTY { { { [Date].[Date].[Year].&[2008].&[3].&[7].&[20] } * { [Measures].[Calls Abandoned] } } } ON COLUMNS ,

NON EMPTY { { { [AP Name].[Ap Name].&[Bankruptcy], [AP Name].[Ap Name].&[CMD] } * { [AP Name].[Site].[All].CHILDREN } } } ON ROWS

FROM [Call Detail Cube]

CELL PROPERTIES VALUE, FORMATTED_VALUE, CELL_ORDINAL

Displays:

Bankruptcy  | Dallas           |       6

| Houston        |       6

CMD            | Dallas           |       4

| Houston        |       8

| San Antonio |     10

What happens is that both Bankruptcy and CMD are drilled-down/expanded.  Is there anything in this MDX that might explain what is happening or where I might have an error within my dimension hierarchy?

Thanks again...

Kole

Monday, August 25, 2008 2:04 PM