none
Set PWA Site to Read-Only During Migration? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm working on a large Project Server migration from 2010-->2013-->2016 and would like to keep our 2010 environment online as read-only while I work on the migration.

I set the site collection for the PWA site to read-only in SharePoint Central Admin under Site Collection Quotas and Locks. This works for the Project Sites, but in Project Center I'm still able to edit projects and create new ones. I tried setting the databases to read-only but that results in an error when clicking on project in Project Center...and as I'm typing this I actually got an error refreshing the project center itself, so the PWA site does not seem to like the databases in read-only mode.

Is there any way to accomplish this?

Thanks

Tuesday, December 6, 2016 7:45 PM

Answers

• Hi,

data for Project Server 2010 are not stored in ContentDB, but in 4 own databases. I have no experience with setting DB to read-only.

What I would do: Create a group in Project Server, add all users to this group. Add all categories to this group and set Deny for each single category for alle lines except "View" permissions and "Open Projects". This will prevent PWA from any edits.

Unfortunately, there is no category permission for task updates. Therefore, I suggest to set in Global Permissions "Deny" for View Task Center and View Timesheets. Don't set any other permissions, they are still retrieved from other groups.

Hope that helps?
    Barbara

To increase the value of this forum, please mark the replies that helped to solve your issue as answer. If you find answers to questions from other forum participants to be helpful, please mark them as helpful. Your participation will help others to find an appropriate solution faster. Thanks for your support!

• Marked as answer by zeik85 Thursday, December 8, 2016 7:41 PM
    Thursday, December 8, 2016 4:01 PM

All replies

• Hi,

data for Project Server 2010 are not stored in ContentDB, but in 4 own databases. I have no experience with setting DB to read-only.

What I would do: Create a group in Project Server, add all users to this group. Add all categories to this group and set Deny for each single category for alle lines except "View" permissions and "Open Projects". This will prevent PWA from any edits.

Unfortunately, there is no category permission for task updates. Therefore, I suggest to set in Global Permissions "Deny" for View Task Center and View Timesheets. Don't set any other permissions, they are still retrieved from other groups.

Hope that helps?
    Barbara

To increase the value of this forum, please mark the replies that helped to solve your issue as answer. If you find answers to questions from other forum participants to be helpful, please mark them as helpful. Your participation will help others to find an appropriate solution faster. Thanks for your support!

• Marked as answer by zeik85 Thursday, December 8, 2016 7:41 PM
    Thursday, December 8, 2016 4:01 PM
  • Hi Barbara,

Thanks for the reply. I may end up having to do something like what you described, but I'm starting to lean towards just leaving it offline during this time and having the users deal with it :)

Thursday, December 8, 2016 7:41 PM