NIC Identified incorrectly RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have deployed Windows Server 2008 R2 on a DELL R710 box. Both internal Broadcom and Intel NIC ports are identified incorrectly meaning in device manager quad port for broadcom is identified as Broadcom BCM5709C NetXtreme II GigE (NDIS VBD Client), then #2, #3 & #4. But when network cable connected to physical port 1 (Gb1), BCM5709C NetXtreme II GigE (NDIS VBD Client) #2 is activated. Same as in Intel NIC ports as well. If physical port 1 is connected, its #3 port activates.

When called DELL support they said that its Microsoft issue.

Help me to understand why Server reports incorrectly and how to fix it.

Please help.

Thanks

kris

Friday, April 23, 2010 1:11 AM

All replies

•   Why does this worry you? The name of an interface is just a name. You can change it to anything you want. What they are called in Device Manager doesn't really matter. What the are called in Networking and Sharing Center is what matters.

When you sort out which NIC is which, rename them to something which identifies them in a way that you can understand. You could call them Broadcom 1-4 and Intel 1-4 for instance.

Bill
    Friday, April 23, 2010 4:25 AM
  • Bill,

What I'm not worried about is the name in Network and Sharing center. I do know I can change names from Local Area Network 1,2, 3 etc. to something meaningful to me. For example I have renamed Local Area Network #2 to iSCSI - VLAN2. But what concerned me was about Device manager identifying incorrectly about physical ports to device manager identified port numbers.

Thanks

Friday, April 23, 2010 3:36 PM
  • Hi Kris,

Device manager accepts the connection using enumeration and hkey class root , and its not related with the name . Rememer NIC are IRQ devices and i do not think that you are changing the IRQ of the device along with additional parameters.

So changing the name doesnt change the port numbers.

Sunday, June 6, 2010 11:30 AM