none
PowerQuery: Replace Value with Conditional if and the actual Date RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

i have the following problem. I want to update the values of a column with following condition.

#"blabla" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Table","DateValue1_month","DateValue2_month",Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"column"}),

but i have to check first

if

DateValue1_month < ActualMonth

then

DateValue1_month = ActualMonth

else

keep DateValue1_month

fi

Can some help me with this

Tuesday, April 14, 2015 2:45 PM

Answers

• I'm a little confused by the question because I can't tell whether DateValue1_month and DateValue2_month represent columns or values. If values, then I'm not sure why they would be quoted in the call to Table.ReplaceValue. Can you flesh out the problem a little with more-concrete examples?

What I'm guessing is that you want to do something like "if the value in the column is less than ActualMonth then replace it with ActualMonth; otherwise, keep it unchanged." While this kind of operation can be done with Table.ReplaceValue, It's not straightforward. The problem is that you need to split the logic between a custom replacer function and several literals. If this is what you want to do, I would use Table.TransformColumns and say

Transformed = Table.TransformColumns(table, {"column", each if _ < ActualMonth then ActualMonth else _})

• Marked as answer by Piedy Friday, April 17, 2015 6:00 AM
    Thursday, April 16, 2015 10:30 AM
  • ? How about *please* :-)

#"blabla" = if DateValue1_month < ActualMonth

then Table.ReplaceValue(#"Table","DateValue1_month","DateValue2_month",Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"column"})

else DateValue1_month,

Imke

Thursday, April 16, 2015 7:36 AM

All replies

• *push* :-)
    Thursday, April 16, 2015 6:29 AM
  • ? How about *please* :-)

#"blabla" = if DateValue1_month < ActualMonth

then Table.ReplaceValue(#"Table","DateValue1_month","DateValue2_month",Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"column"})

else DateValue1_month,

Imke

Thursday, April 16, 2015 7:36 AM
  • I'm a little confused by the question because I can't tell whether DateValue1_month and DateValue2_month represent columns or values. If values, then I'm not sure why they would be quoted in the call to Table.ReplaceValue. Can you flesh out the problem a little with more-concrete examples?

What I'm guessing is that you want to do something like "if the value in the column is less than ActualMonth then replace it with ActualMonth; otherwise, keep it unchanged." While this kind of operation can be done with Table.ReplaceValue, It's not straightforward. The problem is that you need to split the logic between a custom replacer function and several literals. If this is what you want to do, I would use Table.TransformColumns and say

Transformed = Table.TransformColumns(table, {"column", each if _ < ActualMonth then ActualMonth else _})

Thursday, April 16, 2015 10:30 AM
  • Ha that works both for me :-)

Thank you very much @ Imke and  @ Curt

:-)

Friday, April 17, 2015 6:00 AM