Computer uses 3 of 4 Gigs of RAM while IDLING. RRS feed

• Question

• When <g class="gr_ gr_23 gr-alert gr_tiny gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling multiReplace" data-gr-id="23" id="23">i</g> first start up my computer, the amount of RAM it's using is pretty normal, but after about 10 minutes it puts <g class="gr_ gr_15 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="15" id="15">alot</g> of RAM into Modified (?) and <g class="gr_ gr_16 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="16" id="16">alot</g> on Standby. First thought was that it had something to do with <g class="gr_ gr_14 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del" data-gr-id="14" id="14">start up</g> programs, but to no avail. It <g class="gr_ gr_17 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="17" id="17">didnt</g> used to do this. This is a gaming computer, and now it <g class="gr_ gr_13 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del" data-gr-id="13" id="13">cant</g> handle many of the games. Heres an example of what <g class="gr_ gr_24 gr-alert gr_tiny gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling multiReplace" data-gr-id="24" id="24">i</g> mean http://imgur.com/a/LR9py (they were taken at different times, so YES, there are different programs open, but <g class="gr_ gr_25 gr-alert gr_tiny gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling multiReplace" data-gr-id="25" id="25">i</g> assure you this is not the cause. <g class="gr_ gr_18 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="18" id="18">Ive</g> been trying to troubleshoot this for weeks.) I' m running Win7x64 4gbRAM 500GB HD. Is there any info <g class="gr_ gr_26 gr-alert gr_tiny gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling multiReplace" data-gr-id="26" id="26">i</g> can give you to help you further understand? Are there common problems that cause this to occur? If you could help me out <g class="gr_ gr_19 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="19" id="19">thatd</g> be great! I just need to essentially find a way to stop it from putting a ton of RAM on standby. Thanks!

• Edited by Perry Gagne Saturday, December 15, 2018 10:10 PM
    Thursday, March 8, 2012 5:35 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You may already know this..

Standby: Pages of physical ram not actively being used. These are still left in physical ram but will be repurposed first by the memory manager (either returned to the active list or zeroed out and reused) if something needs physical ram for active pages. Standby pages are essentially cache – it’s better to have infrequently used data kept in RAM “just in case” than pushing it out to disk when the memory isn’t needed for anything else.

Modified: Similar to Standby, but these are pages of physical RAM that have been changed and must be flushed to disk before reusing them.

You can collect a Performance monitor logs on the machine to see what is taking up the memory, it can be cache, it can be some process really using the RAM on the server.

Do you face any symptons when the RAM goes to 3GB on the machine, or its works fine.

Thanks

Sanket. J Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, March 8, 2012 10:15 AM
  • Im not sure what you mean my symptoms... the things that happen when I use my computer now, that didn't occur before the program are as follows:

- Performance options open on start automatically.

- Windows error pops up saying I am going to run out of memory soon and should close all programs (or it tells me which program is the main cause, usually a game)

- If ignored, windows will close the game and say I ran out of memory.

- Sometimes the computer will just crash (goes black for a second, then bootup splash screen and restart occur)

At the start, when performance options pop up, it lets me change my options, but doesnt dave them. It currently is not using a paging file. Im not sure if it was before the problem or not.

I also noticed today when looking in performance that ALL my extra RAM was being put in standby/modified. I had 0-10mb Free RAM space available to me.

- Perry

• Edited by Perry Gagne Thursday, March 8, 2012 5:48 PM
    Thursday, March 8, 2012 5:38 PM