Issues connecting to Hyper-V server in WORKGROUP RRS feed

• Question

• I might be in the wrong category for this but my issue is really about enabling WinRM so that I can connect to my hyper-v server.

I have set my network connection type to private, but when I try to do winrm quickconfig it reports that it wont work because its public.

PS C:\Windows\system32> Get-NetConnectionProfile                                                                        

Name             : Network
    InterfaceAlias   : Ethernet
    InterfaceIndex   : 13
    NetworkCategory  : Private
    IPv4Connectivity : Internet
    IPv6Connectivity : NoTraffic

PS C:\Windows\system32> winrm quickconfig                                                                               WinRM service is already running on this machine.
    WSManFault
                WSManFault
                    Message = WinRM firewall exception will not work since one of the network connection types on this machine is set to Public. Change the network connection type to either Domain or Private and try again.

Error number:  -2144108183 0x80338169
    WinRM firewall exception will not work since one of the network connection types on this machine is set to Public. Change the network connection type to either Domain or Private and try again.

I'm really stuck on this one. Maybe it would help to connect through a domain but my plan was to run my domain server on this hyper-v host that I'm unable to connect to.

Wednesday, January 15, 2020 8:55 PM

All replies

• From what you've posted it seems you'll need to change the firewall profile from Public to Private.

As a side note yes, it will be much less trouble to make this work in a domain environment. Joining to host to domain hosted on guest is perfectly fine to do,.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, January 15, 2020 9:00 PM
  • Hi, thanks for your response.

I guess this is where I'm stuck? I just set up a domain server and connected both the server and my desktop pc wich im trying to manage from to the domain. I still get the same error. I thought I did change my firewall profile to private. Or now at domain network. Maybe im misunderstanding this. Could you help me in the right direction for how to change my firewall away from public, if this is the issue?

Wednesday, January 15, 2020 11:12 PM
  • On the right side of the taskbar, select the network icon, then under the name of the network that you’re connected to, select Properties, then under Network profile, select Public or Private.

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, January 15, 2020 11:24 PM
  • This is what I have done and thats why I'm confused and stuck..

If i go to Network and Sharing Center it says under network Private network

Wednesday, January 15, 2020 11:34 PM
  • If you suspect the firewall profile then try with firewalls off both ends. This one might also help.

https://joscor.com/blog/using-microsoft-rsat-from-a-non-domain-pc/

Wednesday, January 15, 2020 11:36 PM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 17, 2020 7:12 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update?

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 21, 2020 2:09 AM