relocate shadow copies RRS feed

• Question

• Vista Ultimate Sp1 x86, I need to configure Vista to place shadowcopies/resore points of C: on another partition. None of vssadmin commands seem to be working (create shadow, set.....)
    Is there an way to modify the shadow storage association in Vista?
    Wednesday, December 10, 2008 6:32 AM

Answers

• "I believe that the server capabilities for the Shadow Copy component include the ability to manually manage shadow copies across the network for resources such as shared folders/files that are stored on file servers."

Indeed it does and it is a very useful feature

"This is not usually a necessary or even desirable function for a standalone client installation."
    Obviously it is, once you know that the possibility to place those shadow copies on another volume than the volume being copied.
    Example of use: dual boot XP and Vista and keep the Visa partition accessible from within XP without loosing your shadow copies/restore points. Catastrophic data loss when for any number of reasons the most recent backup is insufficient/too old: shadow copy contents can be "mounted" and accessed even if Vista doesn't recognize then as valid Shadow copies (after a clean install for example)

I have though given up trying to accomplish this directly in Vista and I am sorry to see that the situation seems to be the same for Windows 7.

Thank you for taking time to respond!

cyanna
    • Marked as answer by cyanna Saturday, December 13, 2008 10:02 AM
    Saturday, December 13, 2008 10:02 AM

All replies

• Hi

Vista Ultimate Sp1 x86, I need to configure Vista to place shadowcopies/resore points of C: on another partition. None of vssadmin commands seem to be working (create shadow, set.....)
    Is there an way to modify the shadow storage association in Vista?

There is no way to accomplish this. The shadow copies must remain on the volume where they are created.

Please post more information about the problems you are having with the vssadmin commands?

What are you trying to accomplish?

Are you seeing any error messages?

Hope this helps

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Thursday, December 11, 2008 2:04 AM
  • "The shadow copies must remain on the volume where they are created."

I don't want to move existing shadow copies, I want to create a new association so that shadow copies for volume C: are created on volume D:, the same as in server 2003 and 2008 (tech net reference http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc788051.aspx)

There is no error message, the "add shadowstorage" command is simply not available. I know it's not supposed to be available so that is why I am asking whether anybody has come up with a way to accomplish the modification in Vista.

Thursday, December 11, 2008 8:44 AM
  • Hi

Those commands are only available if you are using one of the latest Server operating systems on a network.

I believe that the server capabilities for the Shadow Copy component include the ability to manually manage shadow copies across the network for resources such as shared folders/files that are stored on file servers.

This is not usually a necessary or even desirable function for a standalone client installation.

Hope this helps.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Thursday, December 11, 2008 7:22 PM
  • "I believe that the server capabilities for the Shadow Copy component include the ability to manually manage shadow copies across the network for resources such as shared folders/files that are stored on file servers."

Indeed it does and it is a very useful feature

"This is not usually a necessary or even desirable function for a standalone client installation."
    Obviously it is, once you know that the possibility to place those shadow copies on another volume than the volume being copied.
    Example of use: dual boot XP and Vista and keep the Visa partition accessible from within XP without loosing your shadow copies/restore points. Catastrophic data loss when for any number of reasons the most recent backup is insufficient/too old: shadow copy contents can be "mounted" and accessed even if Vista doesn't recognize then as valid Shadow copies (after a clean install for example)

I have though given up trying to accomplish this directly in Vista and I am sorry to see that the situation seems to be the same for Windows 7.

Thank you for taking time to respond!

cyanna
    • Marked as answer by cyanna Saturday, December 13, 2008 10:02 AM
    Saturday, December 13, 2008 10:02 AM