When restoring a mailbox, which command do you prefer to use? RRS feed

• Question

• I was accustomed to using New-MailboxExportRequest, but just learned how to use Restore-Mailbox.

Is there one command that you prefer to use instead of the other?  Just curious.

Thanks,
    Robert

Wednesday, January 29, 2014 12:52 AM

Answers

• Those are 2 different functions.

New-MailboxExportRequest exports the mbx to a pst

Restore-Mailbox is used to recover a mailbox and since 2010 Sp1 has been replaced by

New-MailboxRestoreRequest

Since you should be at 2010 SP2 and above ( Sp1 is no longer supported), you should be using New-MailboxRestoreRequest only and not the deprecated restore-mailbox command.

Twitter!: Please Note: My Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.

Wednesday, January 29, 2014 1:24 AM

All replies

• Those are 2 different functions.

New-MailboxExportRequest exports the mbx to a pst

Restore-Mailbox is used to recover a mailbox and since 2010 Sp1 has been replaced by

New-MailboxRestoreRequest

Since you should be at 2010 SP2 and above ( Sp1 is no longer supported), you should be using New-MailboxRestoreRequest only and not the deprecated restore-mailbox command.

Twitter!: Please Note: My Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.

Wednesday, January 29, 2014 1:24 AM
  • Oops.. Sorry, that's what I meant.. New-MailboxRestoreRequest vs. Restore-Mailbox Reason I asked is because i ran into an issue today, try to run the new-mailboxexportrequest command, because the specific mailbox had junk email rules that we're conflicting with the recovery. I instead ran the restore-mailbox and that seemed to work well in its place. Anyhow, thanks for your feedback. Nice to learn that the restore-mailbox is the older, more deprecated version.
    Wednesday, January 29, 2014 7:18 AM
  • Hi,

I agree with Andy. We use the New-MailboxExportRequest cmdlet to export contents of a primary mailbox or archive to a .pst file. When the request encounters corruption in the mailbox, we can add the BadItemLimit parameter to specify the number of bad items to skip.

And the Restore-Mailbox cmdlet is used to extract mailbox content from a restored database. The Restore-Mailbox cmdlet can only use disconnected mailboxes on a server as a source of data, and the cmdlet can only use connected mailboxes as a target for data.

If you want to learn more about the Restore-Mailbox cmdlet, you can refer to Restore-Mailbox.

Best regards,
    Belinda

Belinda Ma
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, January 30, 2014 3:17 AM