Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Error RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I'm having Vista 32bit Home premium as my OS. From time to time, when I open a folder, this runtime error will pop out and I will need to restart my Windows Explorer. It happens totally random. It's quite annoying and I did some findings about this error but to no avail. Anyone ?

Thanks.
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 7:55 AM

Answers

•  

Hi chewyeong, this issue can be caused by several factors such as 3rd party software conflicts, corrupted system files. I suggest you first perform the following steps to troubleshoot the issue:

Step 1:  Make sure the current system is up to date. You can install updates via Control Panel – Windows Update.

Step 2: Perform a Clean Boot

==========

1. Click Start, type "MSCONFIG" (without the quotations) in the Search Bar and Press "Enter" to start the System Configuration Utility.

Note: Please click Continue if the "User Account Control" window pops up.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

4. Restart the computer and test the issue.

Note: Clean Boot is a troubleshooting step. If some programs have been disabled, we can re-enable them later. If you see the System Configuration Utility, check the box of "Don't show this message" and then click "OK".

Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment. If the issue disappears, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

Hope this helps!

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 3:33 AM

All replies

•  

Hi chewyeong, this issue can be caused by several factors such as 3rd party software conflicts, corrupted system files. I suggest you first perform the following steps to troubleshoot the issue:

Step 1:  Make sure the current system is up to date. You can install updates via Control Panel – Windows Update.

Step 2: Perform a Clean Boot

==========

1. Click Start, type "MSCONFIG" (without the quotations) in the Search Bar and Press "Enter" to start the System Configuration Utility.

Note: Please click Continue if the "User Account Control" window pops up.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

4. Restart the computer and test the issue.

Note: Clean Boot is a troubleshooting step. If some programs have been disabled, we can re-enable them later. If you see the System Configuration Utility, check the box of "Don't show this message" and then click "OK".

Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment. If the issue disappears, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

Hope this helps!

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 3:33 AM
  • Dear Sean Zhu, thank you for replying. Regarding the steps

1) I have been checking for Windows Update everyday. So I'm pretty sure my system files are all up-to-date.

2) I'm writing this post with clean boot like you suggested. Since the problem occurs randomly, I wouldn't know when it will appear. So I'll let you know as soon as I get to that.

Thanks again.

Regards.
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 1:42 PM
  • After so many days of testing, unfortunately, even though I disabled all other services besides Microsoft's. The problem still occurs. I went to check the Event Viewer and I found this under Windows Logs > Application .

Event 1002, Winlogon
    Provider

[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Winlogon

[ Guid] {DBE9B383-7CF3-4331-91CC-A3CB16A3B538}

[ EventSourceName] Winlogon

- EventID 1002

[ Qualifiers] 16384

Version 0

Level 4

Task 0

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x80000000000000

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2009-02-01T15:09:47.000Z

EventRecordID 3841

Correlation

- Execution

[ ProcessID] 0

[ ThreadID] 0

Channel Application

Computer cy-PC

Security
    - EventData

explorer.exe

The shell stopped unexpectedly and explorer.exe was restarted.

Someone please help me. It's getting on my nerves !!
    Monday, February 2, 2009 12:48 AM
  •  

Hi, you can try System File Checker this time:

1. If we have Windows Vista installation DVD disc, Please put it in the DVD/CD-ROM, if not, Please perform step 3 directly.

2. Click "Exit" if the auto-menu pops up.

3. Click start ->All Programs ->Accessories. Right-click Command Prompt and click Run as administrator.

4. Type "SFC /Scannow" (without quotation marks) in the "Open" box, and click "OK".

Note: There is a space between "SFC" and "/Scannow". This command will take several minutes to complete and may require access to the Windows installation source files.

Hope this helps!

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 3:02 AM