none
How to encrypt a drive with BitLocker by using PowerShell RRS feed

• Question

• I am posting here, not to ask questions and get answers, but to make my learning public and get some guidance from this community.

I am trying to teach myself PowerShell.  I want to learn it, in part, by doing real work with PowerShell.

My first project involves BitLocker. I have to encrypt my C: drive with BitLocker.  I know how to do it with the GUI.  I am going to try to figure out how to do it using PowerShell.

I will keep you posted on my progress.

Feel free to post advice on pitfalls, etc.

-Thanks!

Tuesday, December 23, 2014 7:21 PM

Answers

• Here are some tips on how you can research this.

The top of that documentation page says that the BitLocker cmdlets are specific to Windows 8.1/Server 2012 R2 with PowerShell 4.0. That is: If you don't have that combination, then the BitLocker cmdlets do not exist.

So next, we pursue how we can work with BitLocker on older platforms. This search might be helpful:

http://www.google.com/search?&q=bitlocker+command+line

So we see that there is a manage-bde command-line tool you can use.

If you do have Windows 8.1 or Server 2012, then you will need to install the component that enables access to them. (Exercise: How can you search for solutions for how to do this?)

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

Tuesday, December 23, 2014 9:24 PM

All replies

• Start with some basic research:

http://www.google.com/search?&q=encrypt+drive+bitlocker+powershell

I am posting here, not to ask questions and get answers, but to make my learning public and get some guidance from this community.

It's good that you're announcing your intentions, but a forum is not really a very good way to learn a new technology because it's just not interactive enough.

This forum is really designed to help answer specific questions. That said, however, there are some good learning resources, such as the Learn link at the top of this page.

Tuesday, December 23, 2014 7:40 PM
  • I attempted to run the command Get-Command -Module bitlocker so that I could see what bitlocker modules I have access to.  I expected it to list commands related to BitLocker, but it listed nothing.

I am thinking that I need to download BitLocker modules, or upgrade from PowerShell 3.0 to PowerShell 4.0 .

Tuesday, December 23, 2014 9:17 PM
  • Here are some tips on how you can research this.

The top of that documentation page says that the BitLocker cmdlets are specific to Windows 8.1/Server 2012 R2 with PowerShell 4.0. That is: If you don't have that combination, then the BitLocker cmdlets do not exist.

So next, we pursue how we can work with BitLocker on older platforms. This search might be helpful:

http://www.google.com/search?&q=bitlocker+command+line

So we see that there is a manage-bde command-line tool you can use.

If you do have Windows 8.1 or Server 2012, then you will need to install the component that enables access to them. (Exercise: How can you search for solutions for how to do this?)

Tuesday, December 23, 2014 9:24 PM
  • Thanks Bill.

Manage-bde looks like a great tool.  I am researching it using Google and the CLI Help (-h).

I am going to create virtual machine for testing.  I would hate to encrypt my hard drive and lock myself out of it.  I will not be able to use the TPM, but I believe I will still be able to enable BitLocker protection to the virtual machine's HDD.

Wednesday, December 31, 2014 3:40 PM