none
Chrome and Firefox Display page IE and Edge do not RRS feed

  • Question

  • Several appliances and intranet sites no longer display in IE or Edge.

    IE will show an error, "This page can't be displayed"

    Edge will show an error, "Hmm, we can't reach this page"

    Chrome and Firefox will bring back the page, I would just use those browsers, but these appliances work better in IE.

    This is not a problem with my machine, it is domain wide, after patching.

    Any ideas?

    Monday, July 11, 2016 7:51 PM

All replies

  • It might be similar to this;

    last month we broke a few (older) internal webapps when we rolled out https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3161608 , because that includes https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3161639 , which adds a couple of "new" cipher suites, bumping down the suites our old apps are using. This led to one of the new suites being selected instead of the previous/older suite. Boom!

    The webapp in question is an implementation of Oracle identity manager.

    Fortunately we caught the issue before we rolled out the June rollup too widely.

    And it has generated a lot of interest in the lifecycle of that webapp (i.e. get rid of that old junk urgently ;)


    Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

    Monday, July 11, 2016 8:52 PM
  • What do I do then?
    Monday, July 11, 2016 9:03 PM
  • What do I do then?

    What I did, was to use NetMon/MessageAnalyser/Wireshark to inspect the network traffic at the client, looking for the SSL negotiation and cipher-suite negotiation. I compared that with an unpatched machine (without the recent cipher-suite patch). This showed the impact of the reordered cipher-suite.

    So you can then accept the problem, or remain unpatched, or adjust the cipher-suite required by the application, or reorder the cipher-suite negotiation.

    That's if your issue is similar to what I found for ours.

    If you have a different issue, the steps/options I've mentioned may not be applicable at all.

    It would be advisable to confirm the nature of the problem you have, e.g. does an unpatched machine work ok?
    Is the appliance/application actually using SSL or TLS?
    Does the appliance/application vendor have any suggestions/fixes?


    Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

    Tuesday, July 12, 2016 6:26 AM
  • Hi Christopher W. Wiedel,

    According to your description, did you update this problem occurs? As DonPick mentioned, we could check the KB from the Windows Update. It might be caused by SSL or TLS.

    If you are convenient, you could post the problematic links in the reply.

    Hope it will be helpful to you


    Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

    If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

    Tuesday, July 12, 2016 9:48 AM
    Moderator
  • The links are internal sites, some work, some do not. Yes this happened after patching in June. 

    Tuesday, July 12, 2016 2:44 PM
  • Hi Christopher W. Wiedel,

    According to your description, the issue happened after patching in June. Based on my search about Microsoft Security Bulletin Summary for June 2016, the MS16-063(3163649) and MS16-068(3163656) are related to IE and Edge. I suggest that we could try uninstall to check.

    Hope it will be helpful to you


    Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

    If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

    Monday, July 18, 2016 9:20 AM
    Moderator