Developer unable to see workflows RRS feed

• Question

• Platform SharePoint 2007 service pack 1

A developer who is listed in the "site settings" permissions page as having "full control, custom 420" is trying to update the site's workflows. When he starts up sharepoint designer and opens the site, he does not see the Workflow folder in the site tree or see any workflows when using Open Workflows.  However, as site collection admin, when I login as the admin to sharepoint, then start up sharepoint designer and open the site, I see the Workflow folder and the workflows appear in the Open Workflows.

Do I have to give the user full site admin privs to edit a workflow? The site users didn't have to have those privs to create the workflows - it seems like they should not have to have them otherwise.

Here's what the user's permissions say:

Permissions:
    checked="checked" Full Control - Full control of the scope.</label>
      Design - Can create lists and document libraries and edit pages in the Web site
      Contribute - Can create and edit items in existing lists and document libraries.
      Read - Read-only access to the Web site.
      Custom 23 - View Items, Add Items, Edit Items, Manage Personal Views
      Custom 247 - View Items, Add Items
    checked="checked" Custom 420 - View Items, Add Items, Edit Items, Delete Items, Manage Personal Views, Manage Lists
      Custom 431 - Cancel Check-Out
      Records Center Submission Completion - This role is required to fill in missing properties on records submitted to the Records Center. It is automatically granted to users for each record submitted that is missing properties.
      View Only - Members of this group can view pages, list items, and documents. If the document has a server-side file handler available, they can only view the document using the server-side file handler.

Could the custom permissions, which are lower than full, be keeping him from being able to edit the workflow?

• Edited by lwvirden Friday, January 6, 2012 12:25 PM html showed up instead of the stuff i pasted
    Friday, January 6, 2012 12:22 PM

Answers

• Hi,

It seems that your workflow folder is not inheriting the permissions from your parent site.

Open the site in Sharepoint designer and go to workflows folder--> Properties-->Permissions

Here provide access to your user and he will be able to see that or else inherit the permissions from site.

Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    Saturday, January 7, 2012 11:37 AM
  • Well, I had given the user full control at the site level as well as at the library level and he still had a problem. Then he mentioned to me that he didn't have permissions to the sharepoint lists that the workflows used for the requests. Once I added him to full control with those lists, he was able to see and access the workflows.

Thank you all for your help!

• Marked as answer by lwvirden Thursday, January 12, 2012 5:15 PM
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 5:15 PM

All replies

• Hi,

It seems that your workflow folder is not inheriting the permissions from your parent site.

Open the site in Sharepoint designer and go to workflows folder--> Properties-->Permissions

Here provide access to your user and he will be able to see that or else inherit the permissions from site.

Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    Saturday, January 7, 2012 11:37 AM
  • It sounds like SharePoint Designer might be opening the site with Contributor mode. Ask the developer to open the site, go to the "Site" menu, open the "Contributor Settings" and press the "Disable Contributor Settings" button. That may enable them to see/open the workflows.
    • Marked as answer by star.warsModerator Thursday, January 12, 2012 10:24 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by lwvirden Thursday, January 12, 2012 5:14 PM
    Monday, January 9, 2012 9:55 AM
  • Well, I had given the user full control at the site level as well as at the library level and he still had a problem. Then he mentioned to me that he didn't have permissions to the sharepoint lists that the workflows used for the requests. Once I added him to full control with those lists, he was able to see and access the workflows.

Thank you all for your help!

• Marked as answer by lwvirden Thursday, January 12, 2012 5:15 PM
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 5:15 PM