none
Views in MS Project RRS feed

• Question

• I'm planning a new project in Project Professional 2003.

I want to capture some additional attributes for some of the key tasks so I've used Text1 etc to do this, creating a view in order to enter the data and specifying column headings for each. However whenever I switch to Gantt view these new attributes are automatically displayed. If I hide a column from my new view it hides it also in Gantt view and visa versa. It seems the 2 views are inextricably linked. Is this correct? I thought a 'View' enabled you to specify which attributes and in what order were displayed.

Thanks 

Tuesday, November 8, 2011 4:49 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I remember having the same problem 13 years ago... there is a solution.

What I missed then, and you miss now, is the difference between a VIEW and a TABLE.

A table is the list of columns used, their width, title, alignment... it can be observed through View menu, Table... More Tables, Edit.

Whet you have to do is not only create a new view (I suppose this is now the active view) but also a new table. If you want to start from the current one: View, Table.., More Tables, Copy. Name your new table, then edit it. Apply

Now go to View, More Views, and edit your new view: you will have the possibility to lnk the new view to the new table (if that is not yet done ayuitomatically) and both views will no longer share the same columns, titles, etc.

Greetings,

• Marked as answer by njl100 Tuesday, November 8, 2011 5:34 PM
    Tuesday, November 8, 2011 5:17 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I remember having the same problem 13 years ago... there is a solution.

What I missed then, and you miss now, is the difference between a VIEW and a TABLE.

A table is the list of columns used, their width, title, alignment... it can be observed through View menu, Table... More Tables, Edit.

Whet you have to do is not only create a new view (I suppose this is now the active view) but also a new table. If you want to start from the current one: View, Table.., More Tables, Copy. Name your new table, then edit it. Apply

Now go to View, More Views, and edit your new view: you will have the possibility to lnk the new view to the new table (if that is not yet done ayuitomatically) and both views will no longer share the same columns, titles, etc.

Greetings,

• Marked as answer by njl100 Tuesday, November 8, 2011 5:34 PM
    Tuesday, November 8, 2011 5:17 PM
  • Thanks Jan,

That works fine.

Regards

Nigel

Nigel
    Tuesday, November 8, 2011 5:33 PM