Win 7 64 bit works for 15 sec pauses for 1 sec works for 15 sec pauses for 1 sec etc etc RRS feed

• Question

• I have Win7 64 bit with the latest drivers.I have been using this for some time now but what has been happening lately is every 15 sec or so the computer will freeze for like a sec or 2 and then work for another 15 sec or so and then freeze for a sec or 2.This is very frustrating when you are typing it throws you off and with mouse movements after the freeze the mouse will "Jump" to where you are.I have a decent computer that is preforming like a 15 year old computer. Does anyone have any suggestions?This seems much more worse when using the internet.

System:

Core i7 860@ 2.8GHZ

8GB Muskin DDRIII RAM

ASUS Maximus III formula motherboard

1.5 TB Seagate HDD

1200W Toughpower power supply

BFG GTX 295 1.7GB Video

Win 7 Home Premium 64Bit

Please help!

Saturday, October 22, 2011 12:20 AM

Answers

• CPU usage goes up and down very quickly, normally spiking whenever something happens.  Nothing to be alarmed at.

The CPU Time column is the total time a CPU core has been allocated to that process and can show you longer term trends, and can show you information you miss while your PC looks frozen.

Also the *32 in Task Manager's Process List next to Firefox does indeed indicate that Firefox is a 32bit application, but again this is not something to be concerned over just now.  Windows 64bit can run 32 or 64 bit applications.  Firefox happens to be a 32bit application just now.

• Marked as answer by Magon Liu Wednesday, November 2, 2011 9:27 AM
    Wednesday, October 26, 2011 9:12 AM

All replies

• It will help to have more info on performance data from things like

• task manager
    • resource monitor
    • performance monitor
    • Event Viewer -> Application and Service Logs -> Microsoft -> Windows -> Diagnostic-Performance

So that you can identify which of your computers resources are being tied up and causing the freezes, or if it is just being put in a wait state, waiting for some sort of data to happen.  Particularly if that process has a high 'base priority'.  As you have 4 cores with hyper-threading I find it unlikely that it is a cpu usage issue alone, as many applications only use 1 main processing thread which can at most tie up 1 core's time.

Also more info on the sequence of events leading to this behavior will help too.

My immediate thoughts for likely culprits are

• Adobe Flash plugin for web browsers (though this usually only ties up 1 CPU core and lots of memory)
    • some program with a memory leak
    • MS Outlook connecting to MS Exchange Server
    • virus protection programs
    • search indexing (windows search, google desktop, etc)

It could also be a combination of a few different things

I find it very useful in task manager to look at the processes tab and add extra columns (view -> select columns) such as

• CPU Time
    • Memory-Working Set
    • Memory-Commit Size
    • Base Priority
    • etc

Saturday, October 22, 2011 3:58 AM
  • Hi I tried opening task manager and I notice Fire Fox will go from 0% and jump to 15% and back to 0% on the CPU usage.Also it says "Firefox 32"and I have windows 64Bit  is this my problem?It really bites watching a youtube video that "Pauses" every 15 seconds...
    Troy Provencher
    Monday, October 24, 2011 1:54 AM
  • CPU usage goes up and down very quickly, normally spiking whenever something happens.  Nothing to be alarmed at.

The CPU Time column is the total time a CPU core has been allocated to that process and can show you longer term trends, and can show you information you miss while your PC looks frozen.

Also the *32 in Task Manager's Process List next to Firefox does indeed indicate that Firefox is a 32bit application, but again this is not something to be concerned over just now.  Windows 64bit can run 32 or 64 bit applications.  Firefox happens to be a 32bit application just now.

• Marked as answer by Magon Liu Wednesday, November 2, 2011 9:27 AM
    Wednesday, October 26, 2011 9:12 AM